Nealski’s Smokin’ BBQ Weekend Smoker and Catering
Owner: Allen and Carla Neal
Hours: Cater 365 days of the year
Known for: Indiana-style smoked barbecue
Beer Can Chicken
Serves four to six people
4-pound whole chicken
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon pepper
3 or 4 tablespoons Lawry’s Perfect Blend Chicken Rub
2 cloves garlic sliced
1 can unflavored beer
2 or 3 toothpicks
Half bag of hickory chips or chunks soaked in water
1 cup of your favorite barbeque sauce
1. Remove giblets and neck from chicken cavity and discard. Rinse chicken thoroughly inside and out and dry with paper towels.
2. Rub chicken with vegetable oil and then coat with salt, pepper and the chicken rub. Set aside and let come to room temperature.
3. While waiting for the chicken to come to room temperature, open the can of beer and take a good couple of chugs, leaving about half the can. Place can on a solid surface and insert garlic slices into can.
4. Take the chicken and slide it down on the can of beer until the legs touch the solid surface. Try and wiggle the chicken, making it sturdy enough to stand by itself on the can. Take the neck skin and cover the neck opening and then fold back the wings to hold the skin down. If necessary, use the toothpicks to seal the neck opening. (You are trying to create an airtight seal.)
5. Prepare your grill or smoker for indirect cooking, which means no coals under the bird.
6.Cook chicken at medium-high heat and add chips or chunks when needed for a decent amount of smoke. Close the lid and cook for about 60 to 80 minutes or until the breast temperature is 165 degrees and the thighs measure 180 degrees, or until thigh juice runs clear when pierced. Avoid piercing the skin when possible.
7. Once cooked, slowly pour the barbeque sauce over the chicken, allowing it to cover the entire bird.
8. Carefully remove bird from grill or smoker and let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes, then carefully remove can and discard and carve bird.
Currently 3 Responses
- I have experienced the awesome taste of the "beercan chicken". It is perfection!! I definately recommend Nealski's Smokin' BBQ to cater any event you may need!!!!! The customer service is above and beyond what anyone would expect.
- This is absolutely the best food I've every had! The variety of meats, slowly cooked to perfection with just the right amount of "heat" makes it a real pleasure to enjoy. Allen, Carla and Jerika are just outstanding. They truly care about their product . I would recommend to anyone! Look out Food Network, I have a feeling we'll be seeing them soon!
- GREAT RECIPE!!!!!!!!!! WE LOVED IT.
4 Mindful Practice
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
5 Sarasota Singles Society: "An Evening at the Sarasota Opera House"
5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
8 GriefShare Seminars & Support Groups
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
8 Dave Ramsey's FINANCIAL PEACE UNIVERSITY
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Sarasota resident Sol Carson celebrated his 100th birthday Aug. 15, at the Jewish Family and Children’s Services of Sarasota Inc. The birthday party included cake, singing and family. Carson, a South Philadelphia native, lives in Sarasota with his son, Charles.
The St. Boniface Youth Group held an ice cream social for families Sunday, Aug. 17, in Siesta Key Village.
Calling all four-legged models! The Humane Society of Sarasota County will be accepting entries for its 3rd annual “The Real HousePets of Sarasota County” Pet Calendar and Photo Contest.