Nealski’s Smokin’ BBQ Weekend Smoker and Catering
Owner: Allen and Carla Neal
Hours: Cater 365 days of the year
Known for: Indiana-style smoked barbecue
Beer Can Chicken
Serves four to six people
4-pound whole chicken
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon pepper
3 or 4 tablespoons Lawry’s Perfect Blend Chicken Rub
2 cloves garlic sliced
1 can unflavored beer
2 or 3 toothpicks
Half bag of hickory chips or chunks soaked in water
1 cup of your favorite barbeque sauce
1. Remove giblets and neck from chicken cavity and discard. Rinse chicken thoroughly inside and out and dry with paper towels.
2. Rub chicken with vegetable oil and then coat with salt, pepper and the chicken rub. Set aside and let come to room temperature.
3. While waiting for the chicken to come to room temperature, open the can of beer and take a good couple of chugs, leaving about half the can. Place can on a solid surface and insert garlic slices into can.
4. Take the chicken and slide it down on the can of beer until the legs touch the solid surface. Try and wiggle the chicken, making it sturdy enough to stand by itself on the can. Take the neck skin and cover the neck opening and then fold back the wings to hold the skin down. If necessary, use the toothpicks to seal the neck opening. (You are trying to create an airtight seal.)
5. Prepare your grill or smoker for indirect cooking, which means no coals under the bird.
6.Cook chicken at medium-high heat and add chips or chunks when needed for a decent amount of smoke. Close the lid and cook for about 60 to 80 minutes or until the breast temperature is 165 degrees and the thighs measure 180 degrees, or until thigh juice runs clear when pierced. Avoid piercing the skin when possible.
7. Once cooked, slowly pour the barbeque sauce over the chicken, allowing it to cover the entire bird.
8. Carefully remove bird from grill or smoker and let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes, then carefully remove can and discard and carve bird.
Currently 3 Responses
- I have experienced the awesome taste of the "beercan chicken". It is perfection!! I definately recommend Nealski's Smokin' BBQ to cater any event you may need!!!!! The customer service is above and beyond what anyone would expect.
- This is absolutely the best food I've every had! The variety of meats, slowly cooked to perfection with just the right amount of "heat" makes it a real pleasure to enjoy. Allen, Carla and Jerika are just outstanding. They truly care about their product . I would recommend to anyone! Look out Food Network, I have a feeling we'll be seeing them soon!
- GREAT RECIPE!!!!!!!!!! WE LOVED IT.
27 Thanksgiving Free Public Talk & Veggie Potluck
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
29 Light Up Siesta Village and Holiday Parade
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
30 Advent Procession
3 Rachel's Challenge Anti-Bullying Event hosted by The Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Cops Corner: Sarasota
Enjoy this week's edition of Cops Corner.
World on a string
The exchange of goods and chatter are the usual soundtrack for the Saturday morning Downtown Farmers Market on Orange Avenue.
Read all about it
Bookstores across the state celebrated Florida Bookstore Day Saturday. Bookstore1 held an all-ages literary party and read-a-thon for customers and members of the community.