The final decision is expected to be issued today on whether Unconditional Surrender stays or goes.
That decision was originally expected late last year, but legal wrangling between the sculpture’s owners, the buyer and the city has delayed it numerous times since.
Now with an agreement signed between the owners and the World War II veteran who is purchasing the statue, all that’s left is for city commissioners to approve the deal.
City Attorney Robert Fournier will review the purchase terms today and the commission is expected to vote to keep Unconditional Surrender on the bayfront for at least 10 years or have it removed.
Also on today’s City Commission agenda:
• The Police Advisory Panel will formally present its final report, which contains 62 recommendations to improve the Sarasota Police Department. One of those recommendations is to appoint a permanent police panel.
• Commissioners may approve the Downtown Improvement District’s plans to spruce up Five Points Park. The DID wants to increase activity in the park by removing the concrete wall around it, making the ground level to the sidewalk and street, re-seeding the lawn and creating a performance platform.
• The Sarasota Orchestra will ask the city to reduce rental rates at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall. The rent has increased 92% in the past three years, and orchestra management said it has put a financial strain on the arts organization.
• City management will ask for commissioners’ input on ways to balance next year's budget. Because of an 11% reduction in property-tax revenue, more than $5 million will have to be cut from the budget.
Contact Robin Roy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 1 Response
- The kiss will be an icon for Sarasota... I feel the location is not appropriate. Maybe across the street in the park. Where the benches are and the trees surrounding it. One can sit, have shade and take their pics and chit chat......Have a coffee or lattee....The Kiss is to massive in where it is located. it truly blocks the scenic view that we all come to love and the representation of why people fall in love with Sarasota.
9 CONA Holiday Party
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
10 Books & Coffee
10 Hollywood Glam Party
7:45 pm - 6:00 am
12 La Leche League/Breastfeeding Support
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
13 Fifth Annual CYD Gingerbread Festival
10:00 am - 7:00 pm
13 CYD Gingerbread Festival
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
14 Free Spirograph Art Event For The Kids
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
14 Green Tara Empowerment
During each of the last eight years, the Out-of-Door Academy families have collected food for Gocio Elementary families.
Forty Carrots hosts grandparents
Forty Carrots Family Center invited students’ grandparents to attend Grandparents’ Day Nov. 25.
The Rotary Club of Sarasota Keys is seeking volunteers from now through Dec. 24, to help man its Salvation Army kettle bell during the holiday season.