Sarasota County will create a Budget Oversight Committee that will assist in budget-related issues.
The committee will be made up of prominent citizens who will review the county’s 2010 budget and make suggestions and criticisms.
Each county commissioner nominated at least one citizen to appoint to the board. The list includes:
• Robert L. Anderson, former county commissioner
• Kelly Caldwell, CEO and president of Caldwell Trust Co.
• Lisa Carlton, former Florida senator
• Harrison Fox, former staff member for U.S. House Budget Committee and U.S. Senate Finance Committee
• Robert Long, former Milwaukee Public Schools assistant superintendent
• Eric Resker, financial planner for AIMCO
• John Saputo, owner of Gold Coast Eagle Distributing
• Mary Anne Servian, former Sarasota mayor
• Richard Singer, retired economist
• Joseph Welch, builder
Commission Chairman Jon Thaxton came up with the idea to create the committee.
“We get criticism that we’re wasteful,” Thaxton said. “So, I thought those in the private industry might be able to see things in the budget that we didn’t. This is an all-star cast.”
Currently 0 Responses
2 3rd annual 'Power of the Girl' Business Breakfast
2 French apÃ©ro evening
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
2 'Safe Sex Halloween Bash: Midnight on the Bayou' Pre-Party Kiki
7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Observer adds new staff writers
Jessica Salmond, staff writer, is a Missouri native and graduated in May from the University of Missouri. Amanda Morales, staff writer, is a native Floridian who has lived on both coasts.
Arts festival raises awareness
The 20th annual downtown Sarasota Art and Craft Fair takes place Oct. 4 and 5, at Five Points Park and Central Avenue.
Bridging the gap
The Children’s Guardian Fund wants to help teens get hired.