+ County bans space-saving in public lots
Sarasota County commissioners approved an April 24 public hearing to consider amending an ordinance to ban parking-space saving in public parking lots.
The ordinance would ban people from blocking vacant spaces, with a $97 citation for violations.
It gives the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office a tool to avoid parking lot altercations at Siesta Key Public Beach and elsewhere.
Meetings & Agendas
• Siesta Key Village Association Annual Breakfast — 8 a.m. Saturday, March 23, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, Community Room, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta
• The Lexicon of Sustainability public event — Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; March 24 to April 1, Selby Public Library, 1331 First St., Sarasota.
• Siesta Key Village Association Meeting — 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 2, Daiquiri Deck Raw Bar, 5250 Ocean Blvd., Siesta
• Siesta Key Association Meeting — 4 p.m. Thursday, April 4, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta
Meeting wrap up
Sarasota City Commission
At the Sarasota City Commission meeting Monday, March 18:
• Commissioners terminated a project that would have added on-street parking to Kumquat Court in the Rosemary District. Commissioners said they were concerned adding on-street parking to both sides of the street would have made it difficult for emergency vehicles to travel down the street.
• Commissioners voted against creating a task force on homelessness.
• Commissioners voted 4-1 to hold off on creating an ad-hoc committee that would have studied possible ordinances regulating downtown sound. Instead, commissioners asked the city attorney to review current enforcement regulations, seek advice from a sound expert and plan discussions on potential changes.
The next City Commission meeting will be held at 2:30 and 6 p.m. Monday, April 1, City Commission chambers, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
Currently 0 Responses
23 Ageless Grace with Mary Masi
10:00 am - 11:00 am
23 Fun Fitness for Parkinsons
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
23 Simply Relax! with Kathi Sims
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
23 Dissolving Anger and Hurt workshop (day 1)
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Trevor Kunk is the chef de cuisine at Blue Hill in New York City’s Greenwich Village, which the James Beard Foundation just named "most outstanding restaurant."
Sarasota native and resident Bri Oliva made her TV debut May 7, on the "Rachael Ray Show." Oliva was selected to participate in a segment called "Hidden Dangers on the Playground."
Key to the city
More than 100 community members and leaders, friends and family surprised Paul Thorpe, one of the founding members of the Downtown Association of Sarasota, April 25, at The Gator Club, to show their appreciation and celebrate the strides he’s made for Sarasota over the past four decades.