+ Chaplain defends police department
Don Tipton, a volunteer chaplain for the Sarasota Police Department, spoke out against what he feels has been an unfair characterization lately of Sarasota’s police officers.
“They put their lives on the line for us every day,” said Tipton.
He was addressing the Police Advisory Panel Feb. 2, which was formed to examine police policies in the wake of an excessive-force investigation.
“We don’t show them enough respect. We don’t pay them enough attention. And we certainly don’t pay them enough,” he said.
+ Chairman-elect of chamber demoted
The Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce demoted its incoming 2010-2011 chairman — a Sarasota County government employee — over internal worries that the perception of mixing government with business could prove troublesome.
The removed chairman-elect is Jeff Maultsby, the county’s manager of business-and-economic development. Maultsby will remain division chairman of Sarasota Tomorrow — a chamber unit financially supported by local companies that promotes the idea that businesses do good things for the overall community.
Steve Queior, the chamber’s president and CEO, said a group of chamber officials began to talk about the possibility of rescinding Maultsby’s appointment in several meetings early last month.
Queior said he spoke with John Cranor, a local semi-retired executive who recently completed a term as chairman of the chamber board, and Sarasota County administrator Jim Ley about Maultsby. The trio came to a mutual agreement that Maultsby should not take the chairman position, says Queior, with the hope that they could correct a mistake before it became a lingering issue.
“It might seem unusual to someone from a private business that a government person was elevated to lead a business organization,” said Queior.
+ Meetings & Agendas
• Palm Avenue parking garage workshop — 5 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 4, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• Planning Commission — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 4, Robert L. Anderson Building, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
• Coalition of City Neighborhoods — 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 6, Waldemere Fire Station, 2070 Waldemere St., Sarasota
• Police Advisory Panel — 5:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 8, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• County Board of Zoning Appeals — 6 p.m. Monday, Feb. 8, County Administration Building, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• County Commission — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 9, County Administration Building, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• County Commission — 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 10, County Administration Building, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Downtown Improvement District — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 9, Room 112, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota
Currently 0 Responses
18 9th annual Leadership Breakfast honoring Nancy Detert and Teri Hansen
18 SMART PARENTS / SMART KIDS FREE SEMINAR
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
19 American Business Women's Assocation-Sunset Chapter Monthly Meeting
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
19 Tuscany by Night!
High Five Moments of the Week
The top five sports moments of the week.
A climb for heroes
Joining with firemen from Central Florida, the Suncoast FOOLS firefighters gathered Saturday, at Plymouth Harbor, to pay homage to the fallen heroes of Sept. 11.
Student's art gains national exposure
ART.WRITE.NOW.DC, a year-long exhibit featuring works of art and writing and hosted in the lobby of the Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Building in Washington, D.C., opens Sept. 19.