+ Rajewski responds
Here are a few observations concerning your “Profile in leadership: Brenner”:
• Brenner’s leadership: He does have a record of leadership, and it has been focused on bringing more expansive development and tourism to the Key with disregard for the town code and Longboat Key’s historic character as an upscale residential and active retirement community.
• Paying dues and coming up through the ranks: That sounds a lot like the military. This concept has resulted in a Town Commission of cronies who, by insinuating themselves into the town’s various boards and committees, have taken control of the town with the help of the business community.
• Against development: You mischaracterized my position. I am for redevelopment and responsible development that conforms to town code. I am against over-development, of which the approved Key Club project is a prime example.
• Brenner wants “a balance”: Where was this sense of balance when he voted to approve the overbuilt Key Club project? According to testimony by the town’s planning, zoning and building director, its size and scale were one of the reasons she recommended against approval of the plan.
• The Brenner vision plan: This verbose document contains 79 references to tourism/commercial/business development and describes Longboat Key prominently as a “recreational community.” Rather than exemplifying a vision, it is more like a road map for justifying increased tourism on the Key.
District 3 candidate for Town Commission
Currently 0 Responses
2 Power Networking Seminar
4:00 pm - 6:30 pm
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
16 Pillar of Hope Open House
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
16 Business After Hours Networking Event
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Correction: Heitlers to net 75 years in April
In its Sept. 18 issue, the Longboat Observer featured Plymouth Harbor resident George Heitler, a lifelong tennis player who has played tennis for most of his 99 years and is a regular at the Longboat Key Public Tennis Center.
Win big in two Observer contests
Starting in October, the Observer will now offer prizes for winners of the weather photo contest, sponsored by Manasota Flooring Inc.
Mar Vista begins dock construction
Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant & Pub is on track to have a new dock by the end of October.