The Longboat Key Town Commission will consider several options for the island’s north end erosion issues at its regular workshop at 2 p.m., Dec. 17.
In a memo to the Town Commission, Town Manager Bruce St. Denis said beach engineer Coastal Planning & Engineering will present recommendations that include a modified breakwater project because of the project’s recent opposition, an emergency 600-cubic yard beach project and the possibility of receiving sand as part of a Longboat Pass dredging project being performed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 2011.
Also at its meeting this afternoon at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road, the commission will:
Consider forwarding to its Monday, Jan. 4 regular meeting:
• An ordinance that transfers $30,000 from the beach fund balance to the North Shore Road erosion control structure construction project.
• A resolution that makes funds available for the preliminary election required on Jan. 26.
• A proposed ordinance that requires newly seated commissioners and all board and committee members to receive mandatory training in public records, the state’s Sunshine Law and ethics.
• Additional information regarding investment return assumptions for its three pension plans.
• A request by a member of the firefighter retirement system to have his years of service credit reviewed.
• The possibility of having joint meetings with the town’s three pensions boards with Finance Director Tom Kelley.
• The possibility of providing early voting for the Jan. 26 preliminary election and the March 16 general election.
• A presentation regarding the Florida Department of Transportation’s federal stimulus project for Gulf of Mexico Drive.
• Changing the manner in which utility bills are handled, which would give the town manager more authority to handle utility requests without the commission’s supervision.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
3 Manatee Audubon -- OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am
18 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
21 Taste of the Keys & Fashion Show
8 Sarasota Music Half Marathon
7:00 am - 6:00 am
Joan M. Durante Park installs new playground
The playground is made from post-consumer recycled materials.
Pete Cumming: Bell-ringer in chief
Longboat Key Police Chief Pete Cumming took on a shift that didn’t involve police work Tuesday, serving as Salvation Army bell-ringer at Longboat Key Publix.
Turtle T-shirts: Always in season
Need a gift for the turtle-lover in your life?