The Longboat Key Town Commission meets at 1 p.m. for its regular workshop at Town Hall to discuss the possibility of burying power lines along Gulf of Mexico Drive.
Florida Power & Light Co. representatives will attend to discuss the possibility of burying the lines and present costs associated with such a venture.
Vice Mayor David Brenner has pushed for cost estimates since he became a commissioner.
“The power lines are ugly and burying them as part of a long-term goal to beautify Gulf of Mexico Drive is something the town should be looking into,” Brenner said.
Also at its workshop, commissioners will:
• A proposed resolution that provides a list of 2011-12 recommended budget transfers.
• A proposed resolution that expresses Longboat Key Town Commission support for police and firefighter pension reform.
• An ordinance that allows for a $25,000 budget transfer for the street lighting modifications along Gulf of Mexico Drive needed during this past turtle-nesting season.
• A proposed resolution that allows for a $23,000 budget transfer to pay for a consultant to help make future changes to the town code.
• A proposed resolution that allows for a budget transfer of $67,470 to cover Longboat Key Public Tennis Center expenditures.
• Changes for homestead exemptions for qualifying seniors.
• The state for the 2013 general municipal election and an early voting schedule.
Currently 0 Responses
18 Crunch Kidz Homelessness Zumbathon
18 An Island Affaire
6:00 pm - 11:00 pm
1 Floridafitfest and 5K Treasure Run
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Hat's off to Dee Pelton, volunteers
Dee Pelton held a luncheon that will be tough to top.
Youth sailors descend on City Island
Approximately 250 people hit the water Saturday, April 20 through Sunday, April 21, for Sailfest. The regatta, Sarasota Youth Sailing's biggest fundraiser of the year, included four classes of competition — Optimus, 420, Laser and Multi-hull — and a barbecue feast.
Book club sunsets for the season
The Sunset Beach Book Club, in its 10th year, ended this season with a luncheon and discussion of the book “Gone Girl,” by Gillian Flynn, April 18, at Lazy Lobster. Discussion moderator was Ricki Carroll. Together, the group read five books this season.