+ Iannello drops out of commission race
Longboat Key resident Joseph Iannello, who qualified to run against Commissioner Terry Gans for the one-year at-large seat in March last month, notified Town Clerk Trish Granger last week he was withdrawing from the race.
“Regretfully, I would like to inform you that I must withdraw my name as a candidate for Town Commission,” wrote Iannello.
Gans is now the only qualified candidate for the one-year at-Large seat.
The deadline to have all paperwork turned in to Town Hall and be qualified for the March 19 election at noon Nov. 19.
+ Spencer resigns from pension board
Longboat Key town employee Donna Spencer has resigned her position on the General Employees Pension Board. Spencer was also the chair of that board.
“Due to personal reasons, I regretfully tender my resignation to the General Employees Retirement System Board of Trustees,” Spencer wrote in a Nov. 6 email to fellow and former board members and Town Clerk Trish Granger.
A new board member and a new chair will most likely be appointed at the board’s 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 28 quarterly meeting at Town Hall.
• In a Nov. 8 story about parking enforcement, the Ticket Tally chart should have read that in August there were 193 tickets issued on St. Armands Circle and 1,720 tickets issued citywide. It also should have stated in September there were 131 tickets issued on the Circle.
• In the Nov. 8 “Welcome Back” issue, the Longboat Observer unintentionally omitted the name of Frances Feinberg, 99, of Longboat Key, in its list of residents who died over the summer. Ms. Feinberg was active in the Longboat Harbour Harbourettes and was known for her work with the seashells she collected from the Gulf of Mexico. She died July 12.
Meetings & Agendas
• Planning and Zoning Board Regular Meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20
• Police Officers’ Pension Board Quarterly Meeting — 8 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 28
• General Employees; Pension Board Quarterly Meeting — 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 28.
• Firefighters’ Pension Board Quarterly Meeting — 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 28.
• Town Commission Regular Meeting — 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 3.
All meetings take place at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road, unless otherwise noted.
Currently 0 Responses
10 Sarasota Singles Society Salutes the Sunset!
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
12 Dog Days of Summer Adoption Event
11:00 am - 3:00 pm
17 L'Europe UnCorked!
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
18 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Mote-tagged shark swims toward Sarasota
A 14-foot, 2,300-pound great white shark is currently heading eastbound toward Sarasota.
Police get a wheel deal from anonymous citizen
An anonymous citizen recently contacted the town with an offer to buy the Longboat Key Police Department a new bicycle.
Surprise daytime turtle encounter
On his evening beach walk, Longboat Key resident Mike Haycock was in for a big surprise when he spotted a sea turtle coming out of the water Sunday.