Susan Landau stems from Ohio, but has lived on Longboat Key for 10 years. Landau cooks three to five times a week, and loves to entertain at her home.
Many moons ago, she stumbled across a recipe for poaching salmon in the dishwasher. And because Landau never makes what she knows how to make, she thought she’d give the funky recipe a go. Since then, she’s become known on the island for her salmon in the dishwasher.
Dishwasher Salmon with Piquant Dill Sauce
Ingredients for poached salmon:
• 4 6-oz pieces of salmon
• Olive oil
• 1/4 cup of lime juice
• Cracked black pepper
• Kosher salt
1. Lay a large piece of foil on the counter and rub it with olive oil.
2. Place the salmon on the foil and sprinkle with pepper and kosher salt
3. Pour lime juice over the top
4. Wrap the salmon tightly in the foil, and make sure no air or water can get in to the foil packet.
5. Place it in the dishwasher, put it on the standard setting and push start.
Ingredients for piquant dill sauce:
• 2 tablespoons of butter
• 2 leeks (white part only), finely chopped then thoroughly washed
• 1 jalapeno chile diced, seeds and membranes removed
• 2 garlic cloves minced
• 1-cup vegetable or chicken stock
• 1 1/2 cups lightly-packed fresh dill, stems removed
• 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
1. Melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
2. Add the leek, jalapeno, garlic and sauté until the leeks are translucent (about five minutes)
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the stock
4. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. The liquid should reduce by half. Remove from heat and let cool
5. Transfer the liquid to a blender or food processor and add the dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper and puree until smooth.
6. Reheat in the saucepan and add the sour cream at the last minute.
Currently 0 Responses
Paint the town red and green
This year, we won’t just be on the lookout for the most festive holiday lights on the Key. We’ll be on the prowl for anything that embodies the happiness of the holidays with our new “Spirit of the Season” contest.
Pettingell tradition is as sweet as pie
For the sixth consecutive year, Pettingell delivered pies from Yoder’s Restaurant in Sarasota to his customers at Thanksgiving.
Former Key Club manager takes on new role
Former Longboat Key Club & Resort General Manager Michael Welly has a new gig.