The Longboat Key Town Commission has signed off on the following 2012-12 legislative priorities:
• Oppose legislation that erodes home-rule powers of local governments.
• Oppose legislation that pursues or allows oil drilling off the West Coast of Florida.
• Support state funding for beach nourishment.
• Support state authorization of other revenue sources beyond our present sources.
• Oppose shifting state budget shortfalls through cost shifts to local governments.
• Support property-tax reform that ensures any reforms establish a fair tax system for all taxpayers and preserves local governments’ ability to provide services.
• Support legislation to provide for the protection of seamgrasses in Sarasota Bay.
• Support state funding for research, control and mitigation of red tide.
• Support legislation to authorize governmental entities to utilize their publicly accessible websites for legally required advertisements and public notices in lieu of current requirements for notices to be placed in newspapers of daily circulation.
• Support legislation to require a registration program for banking institutions for foreclosed properties to provide contact information to maintain property standards and local code compliance within communities.
• Support legislation to address the composition of members on the board of trustees for municipal pension plans and to address pension plan priorities to allow for fiscal sustainability.
*The priorities are not listed in order of importance.
Currently 0 Responses
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
16 Pillar of Hope Open House
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
17 Taste of St. Armands
5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
17 Night of Fish, Fun & Fright
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Goliath grouper lives up to name
Talk about a real big fish.
Mazel tov to Klauber and Mancini
The West Coast Florida Region of AJC (American Jewish Committee) will honor Michael Klauber and Phil Mancini, of Michael’s On East, with its Civic Achievement Award in November.
Bob Havel celebrates 90 years with family members
Bob Havel recently celebrated his 90th birthday on Longboat Key with 24 members of his family.