The Longboat Key Town Commission has signed off on the following 2012-12 legislative priorities:
• Oppose legislation that erodes home-rule powers of local governments.
• Oppose legislation that pursues or allows oil drilling off the West Coast of Florida.
• Support state funding for beach nourishment.
• Support state authorization of other revenue sources beyond our present sources.
• Oppose shifting state budget shortfalls through cost shifts to local governments.
• Support property-tax reform that ensures any reforms establish a fair tax system for all taxpayers and preserves local governments’ ability to provide services.
• Support legislation to provide for the protection of seamgrasses in Sarasota Bay.
• Support state funding for research, control and mitigation of red tide.
• Support legislation to authorize governmental entities to utilize their publicly accessible websites for legally required advertisements and public notices in lieu of current requirements for notices to be placed in newspapers of daily circulation.
• Support legislation to require a registration program for banking institutions for foreclosed properties to provide contact information to maintain property standards and local code compliance within communities.
• Support legislation to address the composition of members on the board of trustees for municipal pension plans and to address pension plan priorities to allow for fiscal sustainability.
*The priorities are not listed in order of importance.
Currently 0 Responses
2 Power Networking Seminar
4:00 pm - 6:30 pm
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
16 Pillar of Hope Open House
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
16 Business After Hours Networking Event
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Correction: Heitlers to net 75 years in April
In its Sept. 18 issue, the Longboat Observer featured Plymouth Harbor resident George Heitler, a lifelong tennis player who has played tennis for most of his 99 years and is a regular at the Longboat Key Public Tennis Center.
Win big in two Observer contests
Starting in October, the Observer will now offer prizes for winners of the weather photo contest, sponsored by Manasota Flooring Inc.
Mar Vista begins dock construction
Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant & Pub is on track to have a new dock by the end of October.