Dale Sprintz is a resident of Longboat Key. Sprintz owned her own catering business in Chicago for 25 years called Temptations Unlimited, as well as a company that is still operational under different owners called “Lunch at Hand.” These days, Sprintz loves to entertain and throws Oscar parties, New Years celebrations and casual dinners with friends. She also spends time designing jewelry.
In this In the Kitchen, she will teach a fall recipe that looks and tastes fancy, but that is simple. She will be teaching courses at Adult & Community Enrichment center in Sarasota this fall. To find out her class schedule visit, sarasotacountyschools.net/schools/ace.
Thin French Apple Tart
• 2.5 cups flour
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) cold butter
• ¼ cup vegetable shortening
• 6 tablespoons icewater
• 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
• ¼ cup sugar
• ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
• 2 lbs variety of baking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
• 2 ½ tablespoons honey
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Method (serves 8):
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl
3. Cut butter, and blend with vegetable shortening.
4. Stir together with 6 tablesppons ice water and add 1 tablespoon cider vinegar.
5. Divide into two portions and refrigerate for an hour. This recipe calls for only one of the portions. The other can be used as a pie crust at a later date.
6. Roll dough on lightly floured 12-inch pizza pan.
7. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle 1 tablespoon over dough.
8. Arrange apples in spoke-like manner from outside edge to center.
9. Ground 1/4 hazelnut and add 1/4 teaspoon of Allspice to cinnamon sugar mixture (optional). Add the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture to apple slices
10. Bake for 30 minutes.
11. Combine honey and vanilla and microwave 25 seconds until bubbly. Brush honey over warm tart.
Currently 1 Response
- This is so wonderful - I only wish I lived closer so I could go to that class......................happy new year!
1 Floridafitfest and 5K Treasure Run
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
8 World Oceans Day Family Festival
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Miller shares Longboat lore
David Miller gave the Kiwanis Club of Longboat Key a history lesson Thursday, May 16, when he shared his memories of early island life.
Kiwanians get club recognition
The Kiwanis Club of Longboat Key recently received "Distinguished Club" status from Kiwanis International for its efforts during the 2011-12 year.
Hat's off to Dee Pelton, volunteers
Dee Pelton held a luncheon that will be tough to top.