+ Whitney Beach gets Clean Beaches Coalition recognition
Whitney Beach recently received the Blue Wave Certification from the Clean Beaches Coalition. According to the coalition, beaches that receive the honor actively promote and embrace Blue Wave Ethics, which are:
• Leave no trace (what you carry in, carry out)
• Move your body (walk, run or swim)
• Don’t tread the dunes (use a walkover or walk-thru)
• Know your limits (swim, surf and boat safely)
• You are what you eat (eat healthy seafood)
• Feed your mind (read a book)
• Respect the ocean (riptides, storms, natural resources)
+ Town to receive FEMA funds for Debby’s damages
The town received approval for $8,610,483.75 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for beach damages caused by Tropical Storm Debby.
Debby struck last June and swept away approximately 150,000 cubic yards of sand from the Key’s beaches.
+ Groups really dig SOS
Approximately 40 people armed with shovels planted more than 100 Florida native plants Saturday, May 18, at Save Our Seabirds. The effort was a joint project of SOS, Sarasota Rotary Club, Sarasota Bay Estuary Program, Longboat Key Garden Club and Florida Native Plants Nursery.
The Longboat Observer attributed incorrect information in the May 23 edition to Marty Rappaport, chairman of the St. Armands Business Improvement District board, regarding the results of the St. Armands BID’s vote to extend the district’s existence. All landowners were given the opportunity to vote and were mailed ballots by the city. Fewer than half of the 65 ballots were returned to the city auditor.
Meetings & Agendas
• Police Officers’ Retirement System Quarterly Board Meeting — 8 a.m. Thursday, May 30.
• General Employees’ Retirement System Quarterly Board Meeting — 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 30.
• Town Commission Regular Meeting —7 p.m. Monday, June 3.
• Code Enforcement Board Regular Meeting — 10 a.m. Monday, June 10.
• Zoning Board of Adjustment Regular Meeting — 9:30 a.m. Thursday, June 13.
All meetings take place at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road, unless otherwise noted.
Currently 0 Responses
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
16 Pillar of Hope Open House
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
17 Taste of St. Armands
5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
17 Night of Fish, Fun & Fright
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Goliath grouper lives up to name
Talk about a real big fish.
Mazel tov to Klauber and Mancini
The West Coast Florida Region of AJC (American Jewish Committee) will honor Michael Klauber and Phil Mancini, of Michael’s On East, with its Civic Achievement Award in November.
Bob Havel celebrates 90 years with family members
Bob Havel recently celebrated his 90th birthday on Longboat Key with 24 members of his family.