+ Whitney Beach gets Clean Beaches Coalition recognition
Whitney Beach recently received the Blue Wave Certification from the Clean Beaches Coalition. According to the coalition, beaches that receive the honor actively promote and embrace Blue Wave Ethics, which are:
• Leave no trace (what you carry in, carry out)
• Move your body (walk, run or swim)
• Don’t tread the dunes (use a walkover or walk-thru)
• Know your limits (swim, surf and boat safely)
• You are what you eat (eat healthy seafood)
• Feed your mind (read a book)
• Respect the ocean (riptides, storms, natural resources)
+ Town to receive FEMA funds for Debby’s damages
The town received approval for $8,610,483.75 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for beach damages caused by Tropical Storm Debby.
Debby struck last June and swept away approximately 150,000 cubic yards of sand from the Key’s beaches.
+ Groups really dig SOS
Approximately 40 people armed with shovels planted more than 100 Florida native plants Saturday, May 18, at Save Our Seabirds. The effort was a joint project of SOS, Sarasota Rotary Club, Sarasota Bay Estuary Program, Longboat Key Garden Club and Florida Native Plants Nursery.
The Longboat Observer attributed incorrect information in the May 23 edition to Marty Rappaport, chairman of the St. Armands Business Improvement District board, regarding the results of the St. Armands BID’s vote to extend the district’s existence. All landowners were given the opportunity to vote and were mailed ballots by the city. Fewer than half of the 65 ballots were returned to the city auditor.
Meetings & Agendas
• Police Officers’ Retirement System Quarterly Board Meeting — 8 a.m. Thursday, May 30.
• General Employees’ Retirement System Quarterly Board Meeting — 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 30.
• Town Commission Regular Meeting —7 p.m. Monday, June 3.
• Code Enforcement Board Regular Meeting — 10 a.m. Monday, June 10.
• Zoning Board of Adjustment Regular Meeting — 9:30 a.m. Thursday, June 13.
All meetings take place at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road, unless otherwise noted.
Currently 0 Responses
20 Santa Jaws at Mote Aquarium
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
3 Manatee Audubon -- OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am
18 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
21 Taste of the Keys & Fashion Show
Pete Cumming: Bell-ringer in chief
Longboat Key Police Chief Pete Cumming took on a shift that didn’t involve police work Tuesday, serving as Salvation Army bell-ringer at Longboat Key Publix.
Turtle T-shirts: Always in season
Need a gift for the turtle-lover in your life?
PHOTO GALLERY: Seaplace holiday party
Seaplace residents celebrated the holidays on Dec. 10.