A fire that destroyed a home and left two family pets dead was caused by wiring to a recessed light fixture just outside the master bedroom, according to an email that Longboat Key Fire Rescue Chief Paul Dezzi sent last night to Town Manager Dave Bullock.
Around 2:30 p.m. yesterday, firefighters responded to a reported fire at 6430 Gulfside Road.
A police report states that occupants Jose and Paola Chichande, who rent the residence, were not home at the time of the fire.
Jose Chichande told police that he was at the beach with his daughter when the fire started and learned about it when a neighbor called him.
Approximately 20 firefighters from Longboat Key, along with West Manatee and Sarasota County fire departments, had the fire under control in 20 minutes.
Dezzi estimated that 85% of the structure was destroyed and that the family also lost its dog and rabbit.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
Contact Robin Hartill at email@example.com.
Currently 0 Responses
Hat's off to Dee Pelton, volunteers
Dee Pelton held a luncheon that will be tough to top.
Youth sailors descend on City Island
Approximately 250 people hit the water Saturday, April 20 through Sunday, April 21, for Sailfest. The regatta, Sarasota Youth Sailing's biggest fundraiser of the year, included four classes of competition — Optimus, 420, Laser and Multi-hull — and a barbecue feast.
Book club sunsets for the season
The Sunset Beach Book Club, in its 10th year, ended this season with a luncheon and discussion of the book “Gone Girl,” by Gillian Flynn, April 18, at Lazy Lobster. Discussion moderator was Ricki Carroll. Together, the group read five books this season.