A fire that destroyed a home and left two family pets dead was caused by wiring to a recessed light fixture just outside the master bedroom, according to an email that Longboat Key Fire Rescue Chief Paul Dezzi sent last night to Town Manager Dave Bullock.
Around 2:30 p.m. yesterday, firefighters responded to a reported fire at 6430 Gulfside Road.
A police report states that occupants Jose and Paola Chichande, who rent the residence, were not home at the time of the fire.
Jose Chichande told police that he was at the beach with his daughter when the fire started and learned about it when a neighbor called him.
Approximately 20 firefighters from Longboat Key, along with West Manatee and Sarasota County fire departments, had the fire under control in 20 minutes.
Dezzi estimated that 85% of the structure was destroyed and that the family also lost its dog and rabbit.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
Contact Robin Hartill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
23 LBK Chamber of Commerce Networking Luncheon
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
25 Manatee Audubon -- Bird walk at Leffis Key
8:00 am - 2:00 pm
29 Santa Jaws at Mote Aquarium
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
6 4th annual Longboat Key Gourmet Lawn Party
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Only 16 days left to vote for your favorite 'It's Read Everywhere' photo!
Voting is now live for the Observer's 'It’s Read Everywhere' photo contest.
A fitting tribute
A day after receiving an Ageless Creativity Award from the Ringling College/Longboat Key Center for the Arts in honor of their late father, Ed Brickman, daughter Carol Diamant and son Eli Brickman held a celebration of life service Saturday.
Alma mater honors Harold Ronson
Philadelphia University presented Longboat Key resident Harold Ronson with its “Leadership in Philanthropy” award Oct. 11, at its Homecoming Dinner Dance.