The Longboat Key Town Commission will consider several options for the island’s north end erosion issues at its 2 p.m. regular workshop today, including a variety of different breakwater options.
The commission will receive updates on an emergency 600-cubic yard beach project and consider approving $125,000 for its share of a joint Longboat Pass Inlet Management Study that will be worked on with Manatee County. The commission will also consider spending $103,879 for a sand search in federal waters for future beach renourishments and funding permitting costs for the upcoming town-wide renourishment project.
Also at its meeting this afternoon at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road, the commission will:
Consider forwarding to its Monday, Feb. 1 regular meeting for first reading:
• Amending the employment policies of the firefighters’ retirement system in order for the town to remain eligible for the receipt of state premium tax monies.
• Amending the employment policies of the general employees’ retirement system in order for the system to remain compliant with changes made by the Legislature.
Consider forwarding to its Monday, Feb. 1 regular meeting for formal action:
• A request by the police department to seek a $2,200 grant to fund the purchase of a citation printer for the marine patrol unit. The grant does not require the town to match the grant.
• A request by a member of the firefighter retirement system to have his years of service credit reviewed.
• A presentation of future entryway and way-finding signs that could be put on the Key as part of a beautification project by Florida Department of Transportation officials
• A request by town staff to waive a sound regulation requirement that will allow Florida Department of Transportation to work extended hours in the summer months when they repave the Sarasota County portion of Gulf of Mexico Drive.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
19 Business After Hours Networking Event
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
24 JFCS Golf Challenge
30 Run to Remember Sponsor and Team Captain Appreciation Night
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
25 Run to Remember
Good pick for Pick
St. Mary, Star of the Sea, Catholic Church Reverend Emeritus Edward Pick was born in 1935 and ordained to the priesthood in 1960.
Lovebirds: 75 years fly
Charles “Buzz” and Jane Walker celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary on Valentine’s Day with 40 family members and friends at Moore’s Stonecrab Restaurant.
Back in the running
We were skeptical last April when former Longboat Key resident John Wallace told us he had reached the finish line of his marathon career.