1. Spiegel's family didn't know that he and Milly had already become engaged when they gave them permission to get married.
2. Milly managed Boots and Bags while Bert did the buying.
3. Love and Quiches was one of the first restaurants in the area to ban smoking. Spiegel didn't want to be around smoke.
4. Spiegel is great with a sewing machine, and he taught himself how to sew dresses and make hot pants.
5. Spiegel has been painting since he was 16 and, in the past, has taken a few courses at Ringling College.
Click here to read "Neighbors: I. Bert Spiegel"
Currently 0 Responses
8 Sarasota Music Half Marathon
7:00 am - 6:00 am
12 Longboat Key Chamber of Commerce Networking Luncheon
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
14 New Exhibit "Oh Baby" Life Cycles of the Seas
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
17 Hospitabull Evening 'A Taste of Israel'
Gauls celebrate sweet 60
On Jan. 29, Jack and Joan Gaul will celebrate their 60th anniversary.
Dora Walters goes by the book for readers
You saw her byline countless times during her 26 years at the Longboat Observer, but now, retired Senior Editor Dora Walters’ byline appears on her new book, “Rewind…Playback: A Collection of Life’s ‘Little’ Memories.”
Encore opening celebration
Members of the Longboat Key Chamber of Commerce gathered for a ribbon-cutting event Jan. 20, at Amore by Andrea.