The Longboat Key Town Commission is moving forward with plans for breakwaters on the north end of the island even though Longbeach condominiums may not sign an easement necessary to permit two of the four structures to hold sand.
Town Manager Bruce St. Denis received permission to move forward even if only two of the structures are built. The town’s beach engineer told commissioners two breakwaters are better than nothing.
The town also will move forward with an inlet management study and a possible emergency sand project. And, in the next couple of years, the town discovered a Longboat Pass dredging project being performed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers could bring the town some sand for its eroded north end.
Also at its meeting, the commission:
Forwarded to its Monday, Jan. 4 regular meeting:
• An ordinance that transfers $30,000 from the beach fund balance to the North Shore Road erosion control structure construction project.
• A resolution that makes funds available for the preliminary election required on Jan. 26.
• A proposed ordinance that requires newly seated commissioners and all board and committee members to receive mandatory training in public records, the state’s Sunshine Law and ethics.
• Additional information regarding investment return assumptions for its three pension plans.
• The possibility of having joint meetings with the town’s three pensions boards with Finance Director Tom Kelley.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at email@example.com.
Currently 2 Responses
- "Town Manager Bruce St. Denis received permission to move forward even if only two of the structures are built. The town’s beach engineer told commissioners two breakwaters are better than nothing. "
Of course 2 would be better than none because as a consultant you still get paid whether its 2 or 4, but get paid NOTHING for zero/NONE!
More town funds spent on Consultants - rather than someone who would do some REAL WORK.
- Longbeach Condominium residents believe that Commissioner Jaleski's plan for inlet management is the way to go contrary to what our so called highly priced consultant recomends.. After all, the Condo Owners live there and want to control their destiny. They refuse to grant the town an easement to erect a series of Breakwaters which they feel will create further erosion.
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
16 Pillar of Hope Open House
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
17 Night of Fish, Fun & Fright
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
18 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Goliath grouper lives up to name
Talk about a real big fish.
Mazel tov to Klauber and Mancini
The West Coast Florida Region of AJC (American Jewish Committee) will honor Michael Klauber and Phil Mancini, of Michael’s On East, with its Civic Achievement Award in November.
Bob Havel celebrates 90 years with family members
Bob Havel recently celebrated his 90th birthday on Longboat Key with 24 members of his family.