The town of Longboat Key moved two historic monuments this morning from the property at 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive recently purchased by PFG Asset Management.
The monuments include the Tablet of Honor, which holds the name of 18 citizens who have played major roles in Key history, and a monument erected in 1976 to remember Hernando de Soto’s 1539 landing on the island. They will be moved to Bicentennial Park, although Mark Richardson, town facilities and recreation manager, did not know this morning if that move would take place today or at another date.
The monuments were originally located in the park but were moved shortly after the Longboat Key Historical Society and Longboat Key, Lido Key, St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce moved into the building at 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive. When the organizations moved out of the building in 2008, both fixtures were left behind.
Contact Robin Hartill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
20 Santa Jaws at Mote Aquarium
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
3 Manatee Audubon -- OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am
18 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
21 Taste of the Keys & Fashion Show
Pete Cumming: Bell-ringer in chief
Longboat Key Police Chief Pete Cumming took on a shift that didn’t involve police work Tuesday, serving as Salvation Army bell-ringer at Longboat Key Publix.
Turtle T-shirts: Always in season
Need a gift for the turtle-lover in your life?
PHOTO GALLERY: Seaplace holiday party
Seaplace residents celebrated the holidays on Dec. 10.