Town attorney David Persson, the town’s legal counsel for the past 23 years, submitted a letter of resignation to the town clerk’s office Monday afternoon.
During a brief speech at the beginning of the Longboat Key Town Commission’s Monday, Dec. 3 regular meeting, Persson explained his resignation was two years in the making and one that he held off on submitting as the town went through the process of finding a new town manager.
“It’s been an absolute honor and a privilege to work with you,” said Persson, noting he has worked with 23 commissions during his tenure with the town.
Persson has agreed to stay on as the town’s legal counsel until June 30, 2013, unless the town finds new legal counsel before then.
Persson said he’s looking forward to balancing both his private and governmental practice.
Mayor Jim Brown and other commissioners said they were shocked by the news. The commission will further discuss finding a new town attorney at its Monday, Dec. 10 regular workshop.
Also at its regular meeting, commissioners:
• Plans to alleviate traffic, parking and noise concerns in Longbeach Village.
• Election results for the town’s two referenda questions on the Nov. 6 ballot that were approved to allow for density changes on two Key properties.
Forwarded to its Jan. 7 regular meeting for second reading and approval:
• An ordinance that amends the town’s 2013 meeting schedule.
• An ordinance that allows for a budget transfer of $40,000 to complete the Linley Street boat ramp renovation project.
• An ordinance that amends parking restrictions in Longbeach Village until May 1.
For more information, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Longboat Observer.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
11 Longboat Key Veterans Day Parade
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
15 Arias In Flght
11:30 am - 2:30 pm
15 Being your best self
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
29 Santa Jaws at Mote Aquarium
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Fall back an hour
Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 a.m. Nov. 2, so turn back those clocks before bedtime Saturday night.
Longboat Key keeps it clean
We’re still reeling from Longboat Key’s exclusion from Movoto’s “10 Sexiest Small Cities in America,” which named Sarasota and Bradenton the first and third sexiest small cities, respectively.
Joe Perry still rockin' in new book
Longboat Key’s most famous guitarist Joe Perry has a new book, “Rocks: My Life In and Out of Aerosmith.”