Town attorney David Persson, the town’s legal counsel for the past 23 years, submitted a letter of resignation to the town clerk’s office Monday afternoon.
During a brief speech at the beginning of the Longboat Key Town Commission’s Monday, Dec. 3 regular meeting, Persson explained his resignation was two years in the making and one that he held off on submitting as the town went through the process of finding a new town manager.
“It’s been an absolute honor and a privilege to work with you,” said Persson, noting he has worked with 23 commissions during his tenure with the town.
Persson has agreed to stay on as the town’s legal counsel until June 30, 2013, unless the town finds new legal counsel before then.
Persson said he’s looking forward to balancing both his private and governmental practice.
Mayor Jim Brown and other commissioners said they were shocked by the news. The commission will further discuss finding a new town attorney at its Monday, Dec. 10 regular workshop.
Also at its regular meeting, commissioners:
• Plans to alleviate traffic, parking and noise concerns in Longbeach Village.
• Election results for the town’s two referenda questions on the Nov. 6 ballot that were approved to allow for density changes on two Key properties.
Forwarded to its Jan. 7 regular meeting for second reading and approval:
• An ordinance that amends the town’s 2013 meeting schedule.
• An ordinance that allows for a budget transfer of $40,000 to complete the Linley Street boat ramp renovation project.
• An ordinance that amends parking restrictions in Longbeach Village until May 1.
For more information, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Longboat Observer.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
19 Business After Hours Networking Event
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
24 JFCS Golf Challenge
30 Run to Remember Sponsor and Team Captain Appreciation Night
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
25 Run to Remember
Good pick for Pick
St. Mary, Star of the Sea, Catholic Church Reverend Emeritus Edward Pick was born in 1935 and ordained to the priesthood in 1960.
Lovebirds: 75 years fly
Charles “Buzz” and Jane Walker celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary on Valentine’s Day with 40 family members and friends at Moore’s Stonecrab Restaurant.
Back in the running
We were skeptical last April when former Longboat Key resident John Wallace told us he had reached the finish line of his marathon career.