Stella, Rose and Kitty will become the first sea lions to visit Mote Marine Aquarium. They’re the first three sea lions to be featured in Mote’s “Sea Lions: On the Water’s Edge” exhibit.
The exhibit runs from Dec. 1 through April 28.
For now, read up on a few fast facts about sea lions, courtesy of Mote:
• Sea lions are highly agile on water, thanks in part to their streamlined body and sleek fur. And while they may look clumsy on land, don’t let them fool you: They have no trouble exploring, as demonstrated by sea lions on Año Island, Calif., which climbed a flight of stairs in an old house.
• Sea lions and fur seals have smaller external ears than true seals.
• Pinnipeds — i.e. sea lions, seals, fur seals and walruses — have highly sensitive whiskers that can connect with 10 times the number of nerve fibers as the whiskers of land mammals.
• California sea lions can dive deeper than 880 feet, while other pinnipeds can go even deeper.
• Sea lions are capable of learning complicated behaviors. In fact, some California sea lions have been trained to communicate with humans in a manner similar to the way in which some dolphins have been trained.
Contact Robin Hartill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
22 Nia with Gail on Anna Maria Island
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
23 Nia with Gail on Longboat Key
11:30 am - 12:30 pm
23 Wine Tasting for Mote at Harry's on Longboat Key
4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
26 St. Armands Fine Art Festival
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
A Cinderella story
A 10-week-old miniature pinscher puppy found a “happily ever after ending” at the Celebration of Pets April 12, at the Sarasota County Fairgrounds.
Pharmacy brings dose of medicine to Publix
The in-store pharmacy of Longboat Key Publix opened Monday, approximately 16 months after the completion of the new store at 525 Bay Isles Parkway, in the Shoppes of Bay Isles.
Golfer scores victory with less than a stroke
The Longboat Key Masters Golf Tournament, which took place March 28 through March 31, at the Resort at Longboat Key Club’s Islandside and Harbourside golf courses came down to less than one stroke’s difference between first-place winner Kevin Preston and second-place winner Michael Russell, of Longboat Key.