Currently 12 Responses
- The most effective action Longboat residents can take is to contact each of their representatives, ask them where they stand on the issue, and let them know you will not support anyone who supports off-shore drilling. Drilling off shore is not only destructive to our environment but will also destroy tourism, as well as significantly reduce the value of our property.
This is not a left or right issue. This is not a Republican or Democratic issue. It is not a liberal or conservative issue. Everyone on the west coast of Florida must unite to prevent the destruction of this beautiful area.
- It's ironic that China is helping Cuba search for oil off the coast of Florida and the current administration is giving money to Brazil to search for oil off its shore but we do not have the conviction to search for oil off our shores--both of the oceans, Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico. We subsidize ethanol production which costs more to produce than the BTUs it generates which is a tax on the American people. We are awash in oil yet we don't have foresight to drill, drill, drill.
Milan V. Adrian, Longboat Key
- INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT MOST ALL THE COMMENTS HERE ARE MADE BY THOSE WHO SPENT THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS CHORTLING "DRILL BABY DRILL" ,THE OBTUSE AND VOCAL MANTRA OF VIRTUALLY EVERY STRIPE REPUBLICAN.....IRONIC THAT SENATOR BILL NELSON IS THE ONE TO WHOM THEY NOW NEED TO APPEAL TO FOR HELP..........GOOD THING HE'S IN OFFICE FOR I'M NOT SURE IF K.H. WOULD HAVE HAD THE SWAY OR WILL TO BE AS EFFECTIVE ON THIS AS SEN. NELSON CERTAINLY WILL BE.......
- I am not in favor of these oil rigs for several reasons but the main reason is the harm to the environment. Also, who wants to look at those unsightly rigs so close to our beautiful shore. I say
- it's interesting that many "conservatives" , who form the bulk of the observer's readership were espousing "DRILL,DRILL, DRILL" in a mantra like manner back in the fall ,now don't want it done in their "back yard"..........hmmmmm.....
- We need our beauty as much as we need our energy. The oil rigs must be built out of sight of our homes & beaches. Then strict federal and state monitoring must keep us and our environment clean!
- Absolutely NOT!!!!! Not only will oil rigs spoil the esthetic beauty of our pristine waters, but the danger of spills and pollution is a very real threat to our fish and marine wild life. BIG OIL, drill somewhere else!!!!
- I agree with all of the 4 other comments.
NO, NO, NO
- As a resident of LBK I would urge everyone to speak up with a resounding NO to drilling off our shores. We need to be looking for methods of conserving, not drilling in our waters.
- The reason I spnd my winters at Longboat is because of the Peace,Quiet and Beauty of its Beaches.If this is to change:what was yhe point of coming here??.No,No,a thousand times NO OIL DRILLING
- The country needs to address it's energy challenge As long as Americans hold to the position "yes,but not in my back yard" we're operating with(at least) one hand tied behind our back.What we need is a national policy that outlines the changes in attitude and sacrifice every state's residents need to confront if,as Americans,we're going to fairly and together contribute to a solution.
- No. NO.No.No.
all events »
Mote-tagged shark swims toward Sarasota
A 14-foot, 2,300-pound great white shark is currently heading eastbound toward Sarasota.
Police get a wheel deal from anonymous citizen
An anonymous citizen recently contacted the town with an offer to buy the Longboat Key Police Department a new bicycle.
Surprise daytime turtle encounter
On his evening beach walk, Longboat Key resident Mike Haycock was in for a big surprise when he spotted a sea turtle coming out of the water Sunday.