The town will present its legislative priorities during the Sarasota County Legislative Delegation meeting and public hearing Wednesday, Sept. 18.
The Longboat Key Town Commission identified the following priorities during its Sept. 3 regular meeting:
• Support an amendment to Florida statutes to allow municipalities such as the town to maintain their charter referendum processes for matters relating to density increases;
• Oppose legislation that erodes home-rule powers of local governments;
• Oppose legislation that pursues or allows oil-drilling off of the West Coast of Florida;
• Support state funding for beach nourishment;
• Support state authorization of additional revenue sources;
• Oppose shifting state budget shortfalls through cost shifts to local government;
• Support property tax reform;
• Support legislation to provide for the protection of sea grasses in Sarasota Bay;
• Support state funding for research, control and mitigation of red tide;
• Support legislation to authorize governmental entities to use publicly accessible websites for legally required advertisements and public notices in lieu of current requirements that notices be placed in daily newspapers;
• Support legislation to require a registration program for banking institutions for foreclosed properties to provide contact information in order to maintain property standards and local code compliance.
Contact Robin Hartill at email@example.com.
Currently 0 Responses
11 Longboat Key Veterans Day Parade
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
15 Arias In Flght
11:30 am - 2:30 pm
15 Being your best self
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
29 Santa Jaws at Mote Aquarium
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Fall back an hour
Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 a.m. Nov. 2, so turn back those clocks before bedtime Saturday night.
Longboat Key keeps it clean
We’re still reeling from Longboat Key’s exclusion from Movoto’s “10 Sexiest Small Cities in America,” which named Sarasota and Bradenton the first and third sexiest small cities, respectively.
Joe Perry still rockin' in new book
Longboat Key’s most famous guitarist Joe Perry has a new book, “Rocks: My Life In and Out of Aerosmith.”