The Aquarius Club Board of Directors sent a letter to the Longboat Key Town Commission Thursday, explaining it still hopes commissioners will turn down a request by the Colony Beach & Tennis Resort Association for an extension of the re-opening of the resort.
“Our position that you reject the extension request remains firmly intact,” the letter states. “How can any commissioner believe this association is capable of delivering a rehabbed, world-class resort after the past two performances (of this association) before the commission? Enough is enough. Reject the extension.”
If the commission does allow an extension, the Aquarius offers the following contingencies:
• Secure the buildings to deter vagrancy.
• Hire a landscaper to spruce up the property.
• Hire a pest and vermin contractor.
• Hire a private security patrol contractor.
• Produce a viable site plan to the town in six months.
• Provide quarterly update reports to commissioners.
• All interested parties need to make a public progress report in person to the commission every six months.
The commission will discuss the Colony’s extension request again 9 a.m. Monday Sept. 24 at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at email@example.com.
Currently 3 Responses
- Anyone interested in this matter should read the full text of the Aquarius letter to the Commission (in the LBK News) as it details the conditions noted above and includes specific time frames and a monitor/penalty mechanism if the Colony does not follow through. If the Commission grants another unconditional extension it is asking for more of the same over the years to come.
- I am concerned about the provisions of the municode, such as -
TITLE 3 - ADMINISTRATION
Chapter 33 - BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
TITLE 9 - GENERAL REGULATIONS
Chapter 96 - HEALTH AND SANITATION
Chapter 103 - HAZARDOUS MATERIAL INCIDENT COST RECOVERY
TITLE 15 - LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE
Chapter 150 - BUILDINGS
My 2 Cents
- If you are interested in resolution at the Colony, I suggest reading the full text of the Aquarius letter as it not only outlines the summary contingencies as noted above, but also suggested time frames and a possible monitor/penalty mechanism should the Colony parties not follow through. If the Commission allows another unconditional extension, they are inviting more of the same for years to come.
3 Manatee Audubon -- OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am
19 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
21 Taste of the Keys & Fashion Show
8 Sarasota Music Half Marathon
7:00 am - 6:00 am
Program to honor Sally Shapiro
Longboat Key resident Sally Shapiro loved music, and a special musical program her husband, Sam, organized will honor her memory.
Key of Sea seeks new voices
Key of Sea Chorus, which sings at assisted-living and retirement homes in the Sarasota area, is inviting new members to join.
Learn more about LBK Foundation
Want to know more about the Longboat Key Foundation, which is embarking on a $1 million fundraising drive, as reported in the Dec. 18 issue of the Longboat Observer?