The Sun House Restaurant
Owners: Barbara and Angela Rodocker
Address: 111 Gulf Drive S., Bradenton Beach
Hours: 4 to 9 p.m., Sunday through Thursday; and 4 to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday
Known for: View of the Gulf of Mexico
Chicken Mango Tango
Guava BBQ shredded boneless chicken breast
smoked gouda cheese
roasted corn red pepper salsa fresh cilantro
deep fried in a tomato basil wrap
mango habanero hot sauce
• Hand-shred chicken breast (grilled or pan smoked is fine) and cover half the tortilla. The restaurant uses a tomato basil tortilla, but any tortilla will do.
• Top chicken with shredded smoked gouda and the salsa.
• Roll the tortilla burrito-style and fry to your heart's delight.
• Serve with the mango habanero sauce for dipping.
Roasted Corn & Red Pepper Salsa
8 ears frozen corn
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 diced scallions
1 diced red bell pepper
½ diced small red onion
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
• Deep fry corn until 50% of kernels are golden brown
• Carefully remove corn by running a knife from top of cob to bottom until all corn is off.
• Place diced red pepper, scallions and red onion in a mixing bowl.
• Add cilantro, white wine vinegar and sugar.
Yield: Four servings.
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 habanero, chopped
1 cup white wine vinegar
• Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, mangoes, habanero and vinegar and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a few tablespoons of warm water or vinegar. Season with salt.
Guava Barbecue Sauce
Yield: two quarts
32 ounces canned guava paste, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
1 1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 cup dark rum
12 tablespoons tomato paste
12 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 tablespoon soy sauce
4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
8 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
4 scallion, white part only, minced
4 garlic clove, minced
1 cup water
Salt and freshly ground pepper
• In a small saucepan, combine the guava paste with the vinegar, rum, tomato paste, lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, scallion, garlic and water and bring to a boil.
• Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until reduced to 5 cups, about 15 minutes.
• Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Currently 0 Responses
23 LBK Chamber of Commerce Networking Luncheon
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
25 Manatee Audubon -- Bird walk at Leffis Key
8:00 am - 2:00 pm
29 Santa Jaws at Mote Aquarium
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
6 4th annual Longboat Key Gourmet Lawn Party
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Only 16 days left to vote for your favorite 'It's Read Everywhere' photo!
Voting is now live for the Observer's 'It’s Read Everywhere' photo contest.
A fitting tribute
A day after receiving an Ageless Creativity Award from the Ringling College/Longboat Key Center for the Arts in honor of their late father, Ed Brickman, daughter Carol Diamant and son Eli Brickman held a celebration of life service Saturday.
Alma mater honors Harold Ronson
Philadelphia University presented Longboat Key resident Harold Ronson with its “Leadership in Philanthropy” award Oct. 11, at its Homecoming Dinner Dance.