The Sun House Restaurant
Owners: Barbara and Angela Rodocker
Address: 111 Gulf Drive S., Bradenton Beach
Hours: 4 to 9 p.m., Sunday through Thursday; and 4 to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday
Known for: View of the Gulf of Mexico
Chicken Mango Tango
Guava BBQ shredded boneless chicken breast
smoked gouda cheese
roasted corn red pepper salsa fresh cilantro
deep fried in a tomato basil wrap
mango habanero hot sauce
• Hand-shred chicken breast (grilled or pan smoked is fine) and cover half the tortilla. The restaurant uses a tomato basil tortilla, but any tortilla will do.
• Top chicken with shredded smoked gouda and the salsa.
• Roll the tortilla burrito-style and fry to your heart's delight.
• Serve with the mango habanero sauce for dipping.
Roasted Corn & Red Pepper Salsa
8 ears frozen corn
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 diced scallions
1 diced red bell pepper
½ diced small red onion
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
• Deep fry corn until 50% of kernels are golden brown
• Carefully remove corn by running a knife from top of cob to bottom until all corn is off.
• Place diced red pepper, scallions and red onion in a mixing bowl.
• Add cilantro, white wine vinegar and sugar.
Yield: Four servings.
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 habanero, chopped
1 cup white wine vinegar
• Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, mangoes, habanero and vinegar and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a few tablespoons of warm water or vinegar. Season with salt.
Guava Barbecue Sauce
Yield: two quarts
32 ounces canned guava paste, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
1 1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 cup dark rum
12 tablespoons tomato paste
12 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 tablespoon soy sauce
4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
8 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
4 scallion, white part only, minced
4 garlic clove, minced
1 cup water
Salt and freshly ground pepper
• In a small saucepan, combine the guava paste with the vinegar, rum, tomato paste, lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, scallion, garlic and water and bring to a boil.
• Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until reduced to 5 cups, about 15 minutes.
• Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Currently 0 Responses
17 Night of Fish, Fun & Fright
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
18 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tiny trio tours safety facilities
Commissioner Lynn Larson’s three grandchildren, Zander, 9, Zora, 8, and Zoe Ramsey, 5, got a close-up look at what Longboat Key police and firefighters do to keep residents safe earlier this month, during a tour of the police and north fire stations.
Mar Vista dollars to benefit local teen
Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant & Pub’s walls and ceiling are covered with dollar bills, signed and decorated by patrons. Every few years the restaurant removes the bills for a good cause.
'We Are The Marines'
That is how Maj. Brian Dix introduced “The Commandant’s Own” U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps July 4, at Avery Fisher Hall.