+ Columbia to hold annual Community Harvest
The 13th annual Community Harvest fundraiser will take place in September at The Columbia Restaurant’s seven locations. During the month of September, the restaurant will provide a list of charities to diners. The customer chooses a charity, and the Columbia Restaurant donates 5% of the check to that organization.
“We hit a milestone last year with our Community Harvest donations,” said Richard Gonzmart, president of the Columbia, in a prepared statement. “We have now given more than $1 million in the past 12 years to more than 100 local nonprofit groups in the six communities that our locations serve, and we hope that 2010 will be a record year for donations that will give back to the many organizations who are facing cutbacks due to the economy.”
This year, the St. Armands Columbia Restaurant, 411 St. Armands Circle, has partnered with the following charities:
• American Cancer Society
• Animal Rescue Coalition (ARC)
• Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota County
• Children’s Cancer Center Inc.
• Humane Society of Sarasota County Inc.
• Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
• Make-A-Wish Foundation
• Moffitt Cancer Center
• Mote Marine Laboratory
• Pediatric Cancer Foundation
• Salvation Army
• Second Chance Last Opportunity
• Suncoast Charities for Children
• TideWell Hospice and Palliative Care
• United Cerebral Palsy of Sarasota-Manatee
• The V Foundation for Cancer Research
Currently 0 Responses
Mote-tagged shark swims toward Sarasota
A 14-foot, 2,300-pound great white shark is currently heading eastbound toward Sarasota.
Police get a wheel deal from anonymous citizen
An anonymous citizen recently contacted the town with an offer to buy the Longboat Key Police Department a new bicycle.
Surprise daytime turtle encounter
On his evening beach walk, Longboat Key resident Mike Haycock was in for a big surprise when he spotted a sea turtle coming out of the water Sunday.