The Longboat Key Town Commission set a maximum millage rate tonight that can’t exceed 1.946 mills.
The maximum millage rate would cover a $265,000 deficit, but the majority of the commission doesn’t expect to approve a budget that exceeds its current millage rate of 1.8872 mills.
Although the commission won’t officially set the millage rate until September, tonight it put a cap on how high that millage rate could be raised before a new 2011-12 budget is adopted for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1.
The maximum millage rate selected will be included in the estimated property tax bills that the county tax collectors’ offices mail out in August.
Also at its regular meeting at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road, the commission:
Forwarded to its Sept. 12 regular meeting for second reading and public hearing:
• An ordinance that reflects the reorganization of the town’s Finance Department because of the retirement of the purchasing manager.
• An ordinance that amends the zoning code to allow the Longboat Key Zoning Board of Adjustment to make determinations of the board’s jurisdiction to consider requests for variances from the zoning code.
Forwarded to its Aug. 10 special meeting for second reading and public hearing:
• Amendments to its Comprehensive Plan that relate to the Bayfront Park Recreation Center and the Longboat Key Club and Resort’s Islandside renovation-and-expansion project.
• A beach funding resolution in order to remain eligible for state grants.
• A resolution that establishes an implementation date for a new building department fee schedule, which would become effective Oct. 1.
• A request to support the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program. Manatee County is seeking $134,301 and Sarasota County is seeking $154,477, which would help fund grant projects within the respective counties.
• A settlement agreement drafted by the town attorney to resolve Robert Smith’s appeal of a Longboat Key Code Enforcement Board order, which levied a $4,000 fine against his property for a repeat violation of overgrown weeds and grass.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at email@example.com.
Currently 0 Responses
20 Santa Jaws at Mote Aquarium
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
3 Manatee Audubon -- OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am
18 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
21 Taste of the Keys & Fashion Show
Joan M. Durante Park installs new playground
The playground is made from post-consumer recycled materials.
Pete Cumming: Bell-ringer in chief
Longboat Key Police Chief Pete Cumming took on a shift that didn’t involve police work Tuesday, serving as Salvation Army bell-ringer at Longboat Key Publix.
Turtle T-shirts: Always in season
Need a gift for the turtle-lover in your life?