The Longboat Key Town Commission voted to approve the Longboat Key Club and Resort’s Islandside renovation-and-expansion project in a 6-1 vote Wednesday, June 30.
Mayor George Spoll, Vice Mayor Jim Brown and Commissioners David Brenner, Lynn Larson, Hal Lenobel and Phillip Younger voted to approve the project.
Commissioner Robert Siekmann did not approve the project because he feared it was too massive for the Islandside Gulf-planned development and is not compatible with town codes and the town’s Comprehensive Plan.
The modified project includes:
• Taking the proposed Wellness Center away from the proposed hotel and placing it on the north parcel just north of four tennis courts, in exchange for building one seven-story building over one level of parking that would hold approximately 26 units.
• Raising one of the villa buildings along the Pass (already approved on first reading) one floor to add two additional condominium units.
• Developing five villa buildings over one level of parking on the north parcel that would hold approximately 32 units. Four of those buildings are three stories over one level of parking and the most westerly building is four stories over one level of parking.
• Moving up the construction of the proposed five-star hotel by two years.
For more information, pick up a copy of Thursday’s July 1 Longboat Observer.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 3 Responses
- Congratulations to the Commissioners who refused to be bullied by IPOC and their high powered attorneys. Bobbie Banan
- The hawks have landed.
- Hallelujah! In the next election, Siekman is toast.
20 National Drive Electric Week 2014 at Mote
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
25 Business After Hours Networking Event
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
16 Pillar of Hope Open House
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Mar Vista begins dock construction
Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant & Pub is on track to have a new dock by the end of October.
Aren't you barracuda?
Steven Herich, of Beach Fishing Adventures, recently caught a 30-pound, 52-inch barracuda.
Donation creates summer camp gift
A donation from St. Armands Key Lutheran Church’s senior ministry recently made it possible for 13 children to attend Dollar Dynasty’s educational summer camp.