Worried that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plan to allow the Longboat Pass channel closer to the north end of the island might make erosion problems worse, the Longboat Key Town Commission vowed to oppose the project at its regular meeting Monday night.
The Town Commission also agreed to attend a West Coast Inland Navigation District meeting May 10 to urge officials to dredge the original, authorized channel, which is drifting southward.
Also at its meeting at Town Hall, the commission:
• An ordinance that establishes no parking near the Linley Street boat ramp from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
• An ordinance that amends the regulations of mechanical equipment into one section of the town code.
• An ordinance that repeals a potable water element of the town’s Comprehensive Plan because the element was replaced with a new 10-year water supply plan.
• A resolution that addresses term limits as applied to partial terms for commissioners.
• A resolution that allows a contractor to restore damaged sea grass on the east side of Jewfish Key and to remove 744 cubic yards of sediment from an existing boat basin.
• A $29,000 code enforcement lien for ManaSota Professional Title Company.
• To attend a work session regarding traffic issues with St. Armands Circle scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday, May 17.
• The date of the 2 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 16 regular workshop to 1 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 23.
• B.J. Webb, George Symanski Jr. and Phillip Younger to the town’s Planning and Zoning Board.
• Ben Feole, Charles Fuller and Edward Zunz to the town’s Zoning Board of Adjustment.
• Larry Grossman, Beverly Shapiro, Robert Krosney, Burt Rosenfield and Seymour Rudges to the town’s Citizen Tax Oversight Committee.
• Frank Conan to the town’s police officer pension board of trustees.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at email@example.com.
Currently 0 Responses
22 Nia with Gail on Anna Maria Island
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
23 Nia with Gail on Longboat Key
11:30 am - 12:30 pm
23 Wine Tasting for Mote at Harry's on Longboat Key
4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
26 St. Armands Fine Art Festival
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
A Cinderella story
A 10-week-old miniature pinscher puppy found a “happily ever after ending” at the Celebration of Pets April 12, at the Sarasota County Fairgrounds.
Pharmacy brings dose of medicine to Publix
The in-store pharmacy of Longboat Key Publix opened Monday, approximately 16 months after the completion of the new store at 525 Bay Isles Parkway, in the Shoppes of Bay Isles.
Golfer scores victory with less than a stroke
The Longboat Key Masters Golf Tournament, which took place March 28 through March 31, at the Resort at Longboat Key Club’s Islandside and Harbourside golf courses came down to less than one stroke’s difference between first-place winner Kevin Preston and second-place winner Michael Russell, of Longboat Key.