Worried that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plan to allow the Longboat Pass channel closer to the north end of the island might make erosion problems worse, the Longboat Key Town Commission vowed to oppose the project at its regular meeting Monday night.
The Town Commission also agreed to attend a West Coast Inland Navigation District meeting May 10 to urge officials to dredge the original, authorized channel, which is drifting southward.
Also at its meeting at Town Hall, the commission:
• An ordinance that establishes no parking near the Linley Street boat ramp from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
• An ordinance that amends the regulations of mechanical equipment into one section of the town code.
• An ordinance that repeals a potable water element of the town’s Comprehensive Plan because the element was replaced with a new 10-year water supply plan.
• A resolution that addresses term limits as applied to partial terms for commissioners.
• A resolution that allows a contractor to restore damaged sea grass on the east side of Jewfish Key and to remove 744 cubic yards of sediment from an existing boat basin.
• A $29,000 code enforcement lien for ManaSota Professional Title Company.
• To attend a work session regarding traffic issues with St. Armands Circle scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday, May 17.
• The date of the 2 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 16 regular workshop to 1 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 23.
• B.J. Webb, George Symanski Jr. and Phillip Younger to the town’s Planning and Zoning Board.
• Ben Feole, Charles Fuller and Edward Zunz to the town’s Zoning Board of Adjustment.
• Larry Grossman, Beverly Shapiro, Robert Krosney, Burt Rosenfield and Seymour Rudges to the town’s Citizen Tax Oversight Committee.
• Frank Conan to the town’s police officer pension board of trustees.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
11 Longboat Key Veterans Day Parade
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
15 Arias In Flght
11:30 am - 2:30 pm
15 Being your best self
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
29 Santa Jaws at Mote Aquarium
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Only 9 days left to vote for your favorite 'It's Read Everywhere' photo!
Voting is now live for the Observer's 'It’s Read Everywhere' photo contest.
Happy birthday, Edith!
On Monday, long-time Sarasota resident Edith Barr Dunn blew out the candles for her 94th birthday.
Donte's Den names top dog
We’re sure the Walters family of Longboat Key thinks of its dog, Buck, as quite the golden boy.