The Longboat Key Town Commission reached a consensus to use a finer sand that was the whitest option available at its regular workshop Thursday.
And instead of using a dark coarse gray sand as a layer underneath the white sand for the beach’s three high-erosion areas, commissioners selected a slightly darker sand than the white top layer to be used in areas like the eroded North Shore Road beach access.
The commission’s thinking is if the white layer is swept away, the sand underneath will not be as dark as the current dual-layer sand project that upset many residents.
The cost of the sand selection made by the Town Commission is unknown and the town manager will present costs to the commission at its 7 p.m., Monday, April 5, regular meeting.
The Town Commission also nominated Bradford Saivetz to its Planning and Zoning Board. Saivetz replaces the seat vacated by John Redgrave.
Also at its workshop this afternoon at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road, the commission will:
Forwarded to its Thursday, April 15, special meeting for first reading:
• An ordinance that repeals the water supply plan element of the town’s Comprehensive Plan.
Forwarded to its Thursday, April 15, special meeting for formal action:
• A resolution that approves a new water supply plan element for the town’s Comprehensive Plan.
Forwarded to its Monday, April 5, regular meeting for formal action:
• A resolution that allows the Citizen Tax Oversight Committee to continue to conduct an annual review of the expenditures made by the town from Sarasota County sales tax proceeds.
• A resolution that adopts the current version of the Manatee County Local Mitigation Strategy Work Groups and allows the town to be eligible for post disaster mitigation grant funds.
Forwarded to its Monday, April 5, regular meeting for first reading:
• An ordinance that provides for a budget transfer in the amount of $74,000 for funding equipment and tools for the town’s Fire Rescue Department.
Forwarded to its Monday, May 3, regular meeting for formal action:
• A resolution that allocates $74,000 of infrastructure surtax monies for the purchase of equipment and tools for the town’s Fire Rescue Department.
• A consider waiving certain fees by Christ Church related to the construction of the new sanctuary being built at 6400 Gulf of Mexico Drive.
• To allow the town attorney to draft a charter amendment that clarifies what is meant by three consecutive terms.
• To approve a budget transfer of an unknown amount to fund a pension study of the town’s three pension plans.
• To create a joint subcommittee of three planning board members and two commissioner to explore the issues with the town’s tree code.
• Commissioners to committees named in the town’s code or as required by outside agencies.
• The status of some revenue items in the fiscal year 2010-11 preliminary budget and variances in actual revenues compared to the 2009-10 budget.
Contact Kurt Schultheis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
3 Manatee Audubon -- OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am
18 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
21 Taste of the Keys & Fashion Show
8 Sarasota Music Half Marathon
7:00 am - 6:00 am
Joan M. Durante Park installs new playground
The playground is made from post-consumer recycled materials.
Pete Cumming: Bell-ringer in chief
Longboat Key Police Chief Pete Cumming took on a shift that didn’t involve police work Tuesday, serving as Salvation Army bell-ringer at Longboat Key Publix.
Turtle T-shirts: Always in season
Need a gift for the turtle-lover in your life?