A fire that destroyed a home and left two family pets dead was caused by wiring to a recessed light fixture just outside the master bedroom, according to an email that Longboat Key Fire Rescue Chief Paul Dezzi sent last night to Town Manager Dave Bullock.
Around 2:30 p.m. yesterday, firefighters responded to a reported fire at 6430 Gulfside Road.
A police report states that occupants Jose and Paola Chichande, who rent the residence, were not home at the time of the fire.
Jose Chichande told police that he was at the beach with his daughter when the fire started and learned about it when a neighbor called him.
Approximately 20 firefighters from Longboat Key, along with West Manatee and Sarasota County fire departments, had the fire under control in 20 minutes.
Dezzi estimated that 85% of the structure was destroyed and that the family also lost its dog and rabbit.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
Contact Robin Hartill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
3 Manatee Audubon -- OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am
19 Jewels on the Bay Showhouse
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
21 Taste of the Keys & Fashion Show
8 Sarasota Music Half Marathon
7:00 am - 6:00 am
Program to honor Sally Shapiro
Longboat Key resident Sally Shapiro loved music, and a special musical program her husband, Sam, organized will honor her memory.
Key of Sea seeks new voices
Key of Sea Chorus, which sings at assisted-living and retirement homes in the Sarasota area, is inviting new members to join.
Learn more about LBK Foundation
Want to know more about the Longboat Key Foundation, which is embarking on a $1 million fundraising drive, as reported in the Dec. 18 issue of the Longboat Observer?