A fire that destroyed a home and left two family pets dead was caused by wiring to a recessed light fixture just outside the master bedroom, according to an email that Longboat Key Fire Rescue Chief Paul Dezzi sent last night to Town Manager Dave Bullock.
Around 2:30 p.m. yesterday, firefighters responded to a reported fire at 6430 Gulfside Road.
A police report states that occupants Jose and Paola Chichande, who rent the residence, were not home at the time of the fire.
Jose Chichande told police that he was at the beach with his daughter when the fire started and learned about it when a neighbor called him.
Approximately 20 firefighters from Longboat Key, along with West Manatee and Sarasota County fire departments, had the fire under control in 20 minutes.
Dezzi estimated that 85% of the structure was destroyed and that the family also lost its dog and rabbit.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
Contact Robin Hartill at email@example.com.
Currently 0 Responses
19 Longboat Key Fine Art Festival
9:00 am - 9:00 pm
19 Mote's Party on the Pass
22 Nia with Gail on Anna Maria Island
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
23 Nia with Gail on Longboat Key
11:30 am - 12:30 pm
A Cinderella story
A 10-week-old miniature pinscher puppy found a “happily ever after ending” at the Celebration of Pets April 12, at the Sarasota County Fairgrounds.
Pharmacy brings dose of medicine to Publix
The in-store pharmacy of Longboat Key Publix opened Monday, approximately 16 months after the completion of the new store at 525 Bay Isles Parkway, in the Shoppes of Bay Isles.
Golfer scores victory with less than a stroke
The Longboat Key Masters Golf Tournament, which took place March 28 through March 31, at the Resort at Longboat Key Club’s Islandside and Harbourside golf courses came down to less than one stroke’s difference between first-place winner Kevin Preston and second-place winner Michael Russell, of Longboat Key.