A fire that destroyed a home and left two family pets dead was caused by wiring to a recessed light fixture just outside the master bedroom, according to an email that Longboat Key Fire Rescue Chief Paul Dezzi sent last night to Town Manager Dave Bullock.
Around 2:30 p.m. yesterday, firefighters responded to a reported fire at 6430 Gulfside Road.
A police report states that occupants Jose and Paola Chichande, who rent the residence, were not home at the time of the fire.
Jose Chichande told police that he was at the beach with his daughter when the fire started and learned about it when a neighbor called him.
Approximately 20 firefighters from Longboat Key, along with West Manatee and Sarasota County fire departments, had the fire under control in 20 minutes.
Dezzi estimated that 85% of the structure was destroyed and that the family also lost its dog and rabbit.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
Contact Robin Hartill at email@example.com.
Currently 0 Responses
20 Cafe L'Europe UnCorked!
5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
22 Dog Days of Summer - Adoption Event
11:00 am - 6:00 pm
27 Fresh Produce event: Live Life, Enjoy Color: A Coastal Affair
10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Our Town: Biller has a circus of a celebration
Happy belated birthday to Longboat Key resident Robert Biller.
Our Town: Summer flavors simmer online
You're in for a tasty treat this summer. Check out our online video series, "In the Kitchen," for an episode each, featuring a member restaurant of The Originals.
Dance teams show off skills
Children from Imagine School and Gullett Elementary School showed off their hard work and dancing talents recently, during a special end-of-year dance team recital.