+ Early voting nixed on the island
The Town Commission voted 5-2 at its Monday, Feb. 1 regular meeting to not have early voting in the March 16 general election.
Instead, residents can vote early on the mainland, in either county, March 1 through March 14.
Town Clerk Trish Granger said that because Sarasota County is holding a town-wide election on the same day as the town’s election, the Sarasota County Supervisor of Elections Office is only willing to come out for two weeks of early voting instead of one.
The commission, which doesn’t want to spend $15,000 for two weeks of early voting, hopes residents will take advantage of absentee ballot voting, which costs 44 cents to mail back.
District 1 commission candidate Lynn Larson was upset with the decision, explaining that two-thirds of the votes casts in the recent preliminary election were done during early voting.
Granger said residents who need assistance obtaining an absentee ballot can contact her office at 316-1997.
The following clarifications are the result of a business-closing list prepared by Planning and Zoning Board member Walter Hackett:
• Gary’s Salon, 5610 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Suite 4, has not closed and has been open for 11 years on Longboat Key. The boutique portion of Gary’s Salon & Boutique, however, closed seven years ago.
• Sun ’N’ Sea Cottages, 4651 Gulf of Mexico Drive, has been in operation on Longboat Key for more than 45 years and has not closed.
• Island Pursuit moved its location from Harbour Square on Longboat Key to the Bank of America building on St. Armands Circle in May. The business never closed and has satellite offices as well.
• Elizabeth Cupo, with Key Counseling, is still in practice on Bay Isles Road.
+ Meetings & Agendas
• Code Enforcement Board Meeting — 10 a.m. Monday, Feb. 8, Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road.
• Planning and Zoning Board Meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 16, Town Hall.
NUMBERS IN THE NEWS
12 million — The amount of unfunded liability in the firefighter pension plan, which is being questioned by pension board Chairman Keith Tanner.
154 — The new number of residential units proposed in the Islandside renovation-and-expansion project.
Currently 0 Responses
11 Longboat Key Veterans Day Parade
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
15 Arias In Flght
11:30 am - 2:30 pm
15 Being your best self
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
29 Santa Jaws at Mote Aquarium
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Fall back an hour
Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 a.m. Nov. 2, so turn back those clocks before bedtime Saturday night.
Longboat Key keeps it clean
We’re still reeling from Longboat Key’s exclusion from Movoto’s “10 Sexiest Small Cities in America,” which named Sarasota and Bradenton the first and third sexiest small cities, respectively.
Joe Perry still rockin' in new book
Longboat Key’s most famous guitarist Joe Perry has a new book, “Rocks: My Life In and Out of Aerosmith.”