If you cut through all of the Bill McCollum and Alex Sink character-assassination attack ads; if you discard the standard operating procedure of the daily newspapers and their editorialists — which is to discredit anyone who has been a success in business; and if you judge Florida’s gubernatorial candidates on their professional accomplishments, the choice for governor is overwhelmingly clear. Pick the candidate who has proven his competence far above the other candidates.
That would be Rick Scott.
Pick the candidate who founded, built, led and managed the largest hospital company in the world — the man who went from being a health-care lawyer in Texas to building and leading a company, Columbia/HCA, that owned and operated more than 300 hospitals nationwide with more than 285,000 employees, more than $20 billion in revenues and consumer-satisfaction ratings that put its hospitals among the best-managed, lowest-cost hospitals in the nation. Pick the candidate whose business practices, more than anyone, influenced a reversal in runaway U.S. medical-cost inflation in the 1990s.
Be skeptical about all of the attacks on Scott’s character. Learn the facts before you judge. Read Scott’s own explanation of what happened at Columbia/HCA — much of which we have reprinted below (truthaboutrickscott.com). Note the sources he cites.
And if you knew the man — as we have for 16 years — you wouldn’t hesitate to send him to Tallahassee to lead and manage Florida’s state government.
Scott is extraordinarily smart. Among his many skills, he only takes risks where he knows success is attainable through methodic execution. Likewise, as the former CEO of the world’s largest (and complex) hospital company, he knows what life in the media fish bowl is all about. He knew, for instance, what the media would do when he took on Obamacare earlier this year with his self-financed Conservatives for Patient Rights. He knew the media would smear him. And he knew when he decided to run for governor the same would occur.
So you must ask: Why would a successful businessman with ample wealth and who has lived a happy, low-profile life with his family (married 35 years and with two daughters) for the past decade decide to enter the public arena and spend more than $15 million of his own money if he had serious criminal or ethical failures in his past?
If you knew Scott, you would know it’s not a narcissistic ego propelling him. Scott is an ordinary American. Like many of us, he cannot bear to see what inept career politicians are doing to Florida and our nation. And he is driven to make a difference. Somebody must.
Scott grew up barely above monetarily poor in Kansas City. He put himself through college and law school with part-time jobs, married in his early 20s and enlisted in the Navy. When he became a lawyer in Houston, he worked hard, scraped, scrapped, learned and sought opportunities. His work ethic opened the way for him to meet and work with smart people who helped him pursue his entrepreneurial drive.
It was an extraordinary accomplishment for a man in his late 30s and early 40s to assemble the people, leaders, managers and financing and go on to build what Scott built with Columbia-HCA. He knows business. He knows how to lead and manage a huge organization. He believes in the virtues of capitalism, individual freedom, low taxes and limited government. He is a God-fearing, church-going, family man.
Forget about all of Scott’s political critics and the anti-capitalist journalists. They will do everything they can to demonize Scott. Stand all of the gubernatorial candidates side by side. Scott clearly is the smartest and most competent candidate for the job.
Rick Scott for governor.
Currently 6 Responses
- We got a true republican as a governo.r He do what ever to help big oil companies,. No mass transportation, that is the republican way. Screw the little guy. Like he screw Medicare. All good while we keep follong behing the wold. Just smile and be stupid
- It will be a very sad day in Florida if Scott wins. He is so pro corporate and anti person that we are in for big changes with him and an incredibly corrupt Republican legislature.
Rick, tell me about your latest lawsuit. The one you were subpoenaed on while giving a campaign speech. What is it you are hiding? Why won't you tell us??
I guess corruption attracts corruption.
Hang on to your hats if he wins, Floridians. The natural beauty of our state is in serious jeopardy by his anti environmental, pro corporate ways.
Parents, take care of your kids, cause public education will be defunded.
Activists, get ready for battles.
- Rick Scott doesn't give a darn about the environment! I am so sick of receiving multiple campaign ads from him on a daily bases. They say the same thing over and over...I like guns, Bill McCollum bad. He must have money to burn!! He's turned me off.
- I feel Rick Scott will be a refreshing entry into the Polictical atmosphere unlike our current Attorney General, who can only create attack ads...which I find very distastful and not worthy of our freedoms to speak the truth. Rick scott will be able to bring a fresh face to our State and Bill McCullom is soiling what reputation he has left...
- RICK I TRUST YOU AND PRAY YOU WILL NOT LET ME DOWN LIKE CHARLIE CRIST DID! THE ONLY THING HE DID AND I PRAY YOU WON'T CHANGE THIS AS WE'RE ON S.S. IS LOWER THE TAXES IN ORANGE COUNTY AKA ORLANDO FOR HOME OWNERS AND WE NEED THAT RICK. WE ARE ON S.S. AND REALLY NOT DOING GREAT WITH NO INCREASE IN OUR CHECKS,YET EVERYTHING ELSE IS SKY HIGH. YOU HAVE OUR SUPPORT. I KNOW ALL ABOUT WHAT McCULLEM IS SAYING, THE FACT THAT YOU STEPPED UP AND WAS HONEST IS WHAT REALLY COUNTED WITH US.
GOD BLESS BLESS- JIM AND GAIL---ORLANDO
- Glad to see printed media is doing what the readers desire, publishing the truth and not a slant on facts.
Rick Scott is a great guy and as the article mentions, he earned what he has and not given anything or expects entitlement like the others running for Governnor.
Thank you Observer group for publishing news worthy information.
20 Braden River Soccer Club Pre-Tryout Camp
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
22 Lakewood Ranch Business Alliance May Morning Express Networking Social - SCF "How SCF Supports Local Business"
7:30 am - 9:00 am
26 Tribute to Heroes Parade - Main St LWR
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
28 Braden River Soccer Club Try-outs
Ranch rallies against cancer
East County residents will rally to fight cancer Saturday, May 18, as the American Cancer Society hosts its annual Lakewood Ranch Relay for Life event at the Lakewood Ranch YMCA.
Barista pours on fun for daughters
State Road 70 Starbucks barista and East County resident Cyndee Vanderford showed her daughters the world of lattes and mochas for Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day April 25.
Troop plants Freedom's courtyard
Girls in Girl Scouts Junior Troop 181, at Freedom Elementary School, recently earned their Bronze Award by researching and planting the back of the school’s courtyard.