MANATEE COUNTY — Three Woodruff & Sons workers were taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital after they were overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes at about 11:25 a.m. today while working on a Manatee County lift station.
The workers were doing routine repair work on a Manatee County lift station located on Manatee County Board of Education property, 2802 27th St. E.
A Manatee County Public Works official said one of the crewmen dropped a tool into the lift station hole and tried to retrieve it about 25 feet below the surface. The man was overcome with hydrogen sulfide fumes and became unconscious. Two other workers made consecutive attempts to rescue him and also were rendered unconscious by the fumes.
Another group of Woodruff workers then used a crane to hoist the three men out of the hole. Each of the three rescued men was unconscious but regained consciousness once they all were taken to a ventilated area.
Hydrogen sulfide, commonly known as sewer gas, can be toxic in high concentrations.
Bradenton Fire Department and Manatee County Emergency Medical Services crews responded to care for the victims and transport them to the hospital. A Manatee County Hazmat coordinator was also on the scene.
The incident is under investigation. For more information call, Capt. Larry Leinhauser, 704-6693.
Currently 0 Responses
30 Fresh Market on Main
9 Early Fall Gently Used Book Sale
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
17 Women's Council of Realtors Fashion Show
27 Health & Wellness Expo
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Students make splash for school
Lakewood Ranch Community Activities Corp. this weekend will celebrate the start of school with its annual Back to School Splash Bash event Aug. 23, at the Lakewood Ranch YMCA, 5100 Lakewood Ranch Blvd.
Klauber, Mancini honored by AJC
The West Coast Florida Region of AJC (American Jewish Committee) will honor Michael Klauber and Phil Mancini, of Michael’s On East, in November.
Temples share the Torah
Twenty-three years ago, Temple Sinai received a Torah on loan when it organized a new congregation in Sarasota.