MANATEE COUNTY — Three Woodruff & Sons workers were taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital after they were overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes at about 11:25 a.m. today while working on a Manatee County lift station.
The workers were doing routine repair work on a Manatee County lift station located on Manatee County Board of Education property, 2802 27th St. E.
A Manatee County Public Works official said one of the crewmen dropped a tool into the lift station hole and tried to retrieve it about 25 feet below the surface. The man was overcome with hydrogen sulfide fumes and became unconscious. Two other workers made consecutive attempts to rescue him and also were rendered unconscious by the fumes.
Another group of Woodruff workers then used a crane to hoist the three men out of the hole. Each of the three rescued men was unconscious but regained consciousness once they all were taken to a ventilated area.
Hydrogen sulfide, commonly known as sewer gas, can be toxic in high concentrations.
Bradenton Fire Department and Manatee County Emergency Medical Services crews responded to care for the victims and transport them to the hospital. A Manatee County Hazmat coordinator was also on the scene.
The incident is under investigation. For more information call, Capt. Larry Leinhauser, 704-6693.
Currently 0 Responses
23 Take Stock College Tailgate Challenge
6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
24 Lakewood Ranch Republican Luncheon
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
24 BOO Fest-Lakewood Ranch
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
25 Ellenton Sunday Market
Only 16 days left to vote for your favorite 'It's Read Everywhere' photo!
Voting is now live for the Observer's 'It’s Read Everywhere' photo contest.
Ranch women make visit to McCurdy’s
Members of the Lakewood Ranch Women’s Club enjoyed an fun-filled evening at McCurdy’s Comedy Theatre Sept. 24.
Girl Scout earns Silver Award
Cypress Potter recently earned her Girl Scout Silver Award, the highest award for Girl Scout cadets in grades sixth through eighth, from the Girl Scouts of Gulfcoast Florida.