MANATEE COUNTY — Three Woodruff & Sons workers were taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital after they were overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes at about 11:25 a.m. today while working on a Manatee County lift station.
The workers were doing routine repair work on a Manatee County lift station located on Manatee County Board of Education property, 2802 27th St. E.
A Manatee County Public Works official said one of the crewmen dropped a tool into the lift station hole and tried to retrieve it about 25 feet below the surface. The man was overcome with hydrogen sulfide fumes and became unconscious. Two other workers made consecutive attempts to rescue him and also were rendered unconscious by the fumes.
Another group of Woodruff workers then used a crane to hoist the three men out of the hole. Each of the three rescued men was unconscious but regained consciousness once they all were taken to a ventilated area.
Hydrogen sulfide, commonly known as sewer gas, can be toxic in high concentrations.
Bradenton Fire Department and Manatee County Emergency Medical Services crews responded to care for the victims and transport them to the hospital. A Manatee County Hazmat coordinator was also on the scene.
The incident is under investigation. For more information call, Capt. Larry Leinhauser, 704-6693.
Currently 0 Responses
28 Faith Preschool's Annual Kid's Carnival and Silent Auction
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
28 Service Club 50th Antiques, Vintage & Collectibles Show
5:30 pm - 4:00 pm
2 Archie Griffin Celebrity Golf Classic
7 Manatee Audubon -- OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am
Artistic by nature
University Park resident Polly Curran invites friends, family and the public to explore her work as an artistic nature photographer.
Harvest United Methodist Church offered a drive-thru approach to a centuries-old Christian tradition Feb. 18, Ash Wednesday.
Sign points to PSA
Seventh-graders at R. Dan Nolan Middle School put conviction to action Monday, as they installed a sign at Lakewood Ranch High School.