+ SCF trustees name new interim president
State College of Florida trustees named Carol Probstfield, the school’s vice president of business and administrative services, as interim president.
Trustee Eric Robinson recommended that Probstfield take over after current acting President Jack Crocker announced that he would resign, effective in January.
Probstfield likely will stay acting president until January, when another interim president is named while SCF’s board conducts a national search for a permanent president.
Top candidates for the interim spot include Dr. Willis N. Holcombe, former chancellor of the Florida College System and president emeritus of Broward College, and Dr. Larry W. Tyree, a current Sarasota resident and past president of Florida Keys Community College.
+ SCFCS announces information session dates
State College of Florida Collegiate School, a charter school for children in grades six through 11, will hold two information sessions for 11th-graders only.
The first is Thursday, Dec. 6, and the second takes place Tuesday, Dec. 11. Information sessions for sixth through 11th grades will be held Jan. 16, Jan. 23 and Jan. 31.
All sessions will start at 6 p.m. and will be held at the SCF Bradenton campus in building 19.
+ Bustle becomes County Commission chairman
Manatee County commissioners voted Larry Bustle chairman of the board.
Bustle, a U.S. Air Force veteran and the former mayor of Palmetto, has been the District 1 commissioner since 2008 and was recently re-elected to a second term.
In other appointments, Commissioner Michael Gallen was elected as the board’s first vice chairman. Newly elected At-large Commissioner Betsy Benac was elected second vice chairman, and current Chairman John Chappie was elected third vice chairman.
New chairmanships begin Jan. 1.
Meetings & Agendas
• Manatee County School Board Superintendent Search Citizens Advisory Group — 6 p.m. Dec. 5, in the SSC Branscomb Room at 215 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton
• Manatee County Board of County Commissioners Land Use Meeting — 9 a.m. Dec. 6, at the Manatee County Administration Building, 112 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton
• Manatee County School Board Regular Meeting — 5:45 p.m. Dec. 10, at 215 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton
• Manatee County Board of County Commissioners Regular Meeting — 9 a.m. Dec. 11, at the Manatee County Administration Building, 112 Manatee Ave., W, Bradenton
• Manatee County School Board Workshop — 4 p.m. Dec. 11, at 215 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton
Currently 0 Responses
26 One Touch Art and Bedding
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
26 Thanksgiving Eve Service-Traditional Service
7:00 pm - 6:00 am
3 Advent Study
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
6 17th Annual Jingle & Jog Road Race and 1 Mile Fun Walk
Stuff the bus
A bus isn’t just for transporting people anymore.
As Freedom Elementary celebrated Veterans Day with its annual “Let Freedom Ring” courtyard ceremony Nov. 12, there was a special treat in the crowd: original Parent-Teacher Organization member Sharri Cagle and two of her three children, Lindsey and Logan.
Help for homes
Habitat for Humanity is known for building homes for families.