MANATEE COUNTY — Three Woodruff & Sons workers were taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital after they were overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes at about 11:25 a.m. today while working on a Manatee County lift station.
The workers were doing routine repair work on a Manatee County lift station located on Manatee County Board of Education property, 2802 27th St. E.
A Manatee County Public Works official said one of the crewmen dropped a tool into the lift station hole and tried to retrieve it about 25 feet below the surface. The man was overcome with hydrogen sulfide fumes and became unconscious. Two other workers made consecutive attempts to rescue him and also were rendered unconscious by the fumes.
Another group of Woodruff workers then used a crane to hoist the three men out of the hole. Each of the three rescued men was unconscious but regained consciousness once they all were taken to a ventilated area.
Hydrogen sulfide, commonly known as sewer gas, can be toxic in high concentrations.
Bradenton Fire Department and Manatee County Emergency Medical Services crews responded to care for the victims and transport them to the hospital. A Manatee County Hazmat coordinator was also on the scene.
The incident is under investigation. For more information call, Capt. Larry Leinhauser, 704-6693.
Currently 0 Responses
19 Good Friday Service
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
19 Easter Vigil
8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
20 Holy Eucharist Rite I
7:45 am - 8:45 am
20 Holy Eucharist Contemporary Family Service w/Nursery Care
9:00 am - 10:00 am
Lakewood crowns students
Lakewood Ranch High School juniors Connor Jones and Kristen Mendez became school royalty March 31, after being named Mr. Mustang and Miss Lakewood Ranch.
MTI takes top awards
The Manatee Technical Institute Postsecondary Chapter of HOSA, formerly known as Health Occupations Students of America, dominated the Postsecondary-Collegiate Division at the HOSA State Leadership Conference April 3 through April 6, in Lake Buena Vista.
Schooled on Jazz
Students at Haile Middle School kept the audience’s toes tapping April 8, during the school’s Night of Jazz event.