MANATEE COUNTY — Three Woodruff & Sons workers were taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital after they were overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes at about 11:25 a.m. today while working on a Manatee County lift station.
The workers were doing routine repair work on a Manatee County lift station located on Manatee County Board of Education property, 2802 27th St. E.
A Manatee County Public Works official said one of the crewmen dropped a tool into the lift station hole and tried to retrieve it about 25 feet below the surface. The man was overcome with hydrogen sulfide fumes and became unconscious. Two other workers made consecutive attempts to rescue him and also were rendered unconscious by the fumes.
Another group of Woodruff workers then used a crane to hoist the three men out of the hole. Each of the three rescued men was unconscious but regained consciousness once they all were taken to a ventilated area.
Hydrogen sulfide, commonly known as sewer gas, can be toxic in high concentrations.
Bradenton Fire Department and Manatee County Emergency Medical Services crews responded to care for the victims and transport them to the hospital. A Manatee County Hazmat coordinator was also on the scene.
The incident is under investigation. For more information call, Capt. Larry Leinhauser, 704-6693.
Currently 0 Responses
31 Night of Light "Fall Farm Fest"
6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
1 Manatee Audubon -- OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am
1 Fine Arts & Crafts Extravaganza
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
6 Empty Bowls Luncheon at Main Street Lakewood Ranch
11:00 am - 1:00 pm
As ladies in the Lakewood Ranch Women’s Club walked into a Monte Carlo-themed Casino Night Oct. 23, at the Polo Grill and Bar, a Sean Connery-version of James Bond, dressed in a white tuxedo, took them by the arms, and posed for a picture.
Give, get a treat
Residents of Summerfield Glades have made it a Halloween tradition to gather at the driveway of Maggie White and pass out candy.
Fall back an hour
Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 a.m. Nov. 2, so turn back those clocks before bedtime Saturday night.