MANATEE COUNTY — Three Woodruff & Sons workers were taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital after they were overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes at about 11:25 a.m. today while working on a Manatee County lift station.
The workers were doing routine repair work on a Manatee County lift station located on Manatee County Board of Education property, 2802 27th St. E.
A Manatee County Public Works official said one of the crewmen dropped a tool into the lift station hole and tried to retrieve it about 25 feet below the surface. The man was overcome with hydrogen sulfide fumes and became unconscious. Two other workers made consecutive attempts to rescue him and also were rendered unconscious by the fumes.
Another group of Woodruff workers then used a crane to hoist the three men out of the hole. Each of the three rescued men was unconscious but regained consciousness once they all were taken to a ventilated area.
Hydrogen sulfide, commonly known as sewer gas, can be toxic in high concentrations.
Bradenton Fire Department and Manatee County Emergency Medical Services crews responded to care for the victims and transport them to the hospital. A Manatee County Hazmat coordinator was also on the scene.
The incident is under investigation. For more information call, Capt. Larry Leinhauser, 704-6693.
Currently 0 Responses
2 Healthy Skin Care and Wellness with Dr. Brenda Yanofsky
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
2 Center For Sight at University Park Grand Opening & Trunk Show
3:00 pm - 7:00 pm
3 Bowl Painting Party
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
4 Ron Gordon's Humane Society Golf Tournament
Ashlynn Martin put her "paws" to action
Ashlynn Martin’s dance-a-thon fundraiser Sept. 7, at Jump Dance Co., benefitting Nate’s Honor Animal Rescue and its Lexi’s Paw Pals program, welcomed more than 60 participants.
Honor seeks home for Petey
A 1-year-old hound dog named Petey has been waiting to find a new home for more than 6 months at Nate’s Honor Animal Rescue.
Vitale accepts donation
Lakewood Ranch resident and ESPN Hall-of-Famer Dick Vitale on Sept. 9 received a $85,000 donation for the fight against cancer from Craig and JoEllen Mettille, of 380 Cos.