MANATEE COUNTY — Three Woodruff & Sons workers were taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital after they were overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes at about 11:25 a.m. today while working on a Manatee County lift station.
The workers were doing routine repair work on a Manatee County lift station located on Manatee County Board of Education property, 2802 27th St. E.
A Manatee County Public Works official said one of the crewmen dropped a tool into the lift station hole and tried to retrieve it about 25 feet below the surface. The man was overcome with hydrogen sulfide fumes and became unconscious. Two other workers made consecutive attempts to rescue him and also were rendered unconscious by the fumes.
Another group of Woodruff workers then used a crane to hoist the three men out of the hole. Each of the three rescued men was unconscious but regained consciousness once they all were taken to a ventilated area.
Hydrogen sulfide, commonly known as sewer gas, can be toxic in high concentrations.
Bradenton Fire Department and Manatee County Emergency Medical Services crews responded to care for the victims and transport them to the hospital. A Manatee County Hazmat coordinator was also on the scene.
The incident is under investigation. For more information call, Capt. Larry Leinhauser, 704-6693.
Currently 0 Responses
17 Women's Council of Realtors Fashion Show
20 First Responders Community Day
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
24 Food Fight
6:00 am - 11:00 pm
26 Lakewood Ranch Republican Club Luncheon
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
MTI hosts 9/11 blood drive
As the nation remembers the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Manatee Technical Institute will commemorate the tragedy with a blood drive from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sept. 10 and Sept. 11, at its main campus, 6305 State Road 70 East, in front of Braden River High Schol.
Salon hosts benefit for transplant recipient
An East County salon is trimming up to support a local 32-year-old battling cystic fibrosis.
Texting video goes viral
Seven million clicks. For Salt & Light Productions, the number was unimaginable.