SCROLL DOWN FOR THIS WEEK'S VIDEO —
This week we went in the kitchen with co-owner Mark Caragiulo of Caragiulos for linguine fra diavolo. Caragiulos opened in 1989. The business, located at 69 S. Palm Ave., is owned by the Caragiulo family and features Italian-American cuisine.
Linguine fra diavolo, which means "brother devil" in Italian, refers to a spicy tomato sauce. Caragiulos' fra diavolo dish features scallops, mussels, clams, shrimp and calamari. Click here for more "In the Kitchen" recipes.
Learn how to make linguine fra diavolo and watch an instructional video below:
Linguine fra diavolo
• 3 Gulf shrimp
• 2 scallops
• 4 mussels
• 3 clams
• 3 ounces calamari
• 1 ounces minced shallots
• 1 ounces minced garlic
• Salt and pepper
• Red pepper flakes
• 1 ounces each fresh herbs (basil, parsley and mint)
• 4-6 ounces white wine
• 4 ounces San Marzano tomato puree
• 6-8 ounces al dente cooked linguine
• 1 ounce of butter
• Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1. Heat olive oil in saute pan. Add shrimp and scallops. Season with a pinch of each: salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. When the shrimp have a nice sear on them, remove them from pan. Leave scallops in the pan. Add mussels and clams to pan. Add garlic and shallots to the pan. Drizzle a little more olive oil in the pan, then add calamari. Stir all seafood in pan.
2. Deglaze the pan with white wine (Pinot Grigio suggested). Add tomatoes. Add another pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Add fresh herbs. Cook on medium high so the wine sauce is bubbling. Continue to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes until the shellfish opens. Once the shellfish have opened, add the shrimp back into the pan. Mix all ingredients.
3. Add cooked pasta to the pan. Add butter to help finish the sauce. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Plate in a large shallow bowl, and move the shellfish to the top. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Garnish with fresh herbs. Enjoy!
For more In the Kitchen videos, click here.
Currently 0 Responses
23 A Wink and a Smile
5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
25 "Jazz at Two" with the Kevin Celebi Quartet
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
25 The Sarasota Ballet presents Program 7 | Johan Kobborg, Alina Cojocaru & Friends
26 The Sarasota Ballet presents Program 7 | Johan Kobborg, Alina Cojocaru & Friends
Lakewood crowns students
Lakewood Ranch High School juniors Connor Jones and Kristen Mendez became school royalty March 31, after being named Mr. Mustang and Miss Lakewood Ranch.
MTI takes top awards
The Manatee Technical Institute Postsecondary Chapter of HOSA, formerly known as Health Occupations Students of America, dominated the Postsecondary-Collegiate Division at the HOSA State Leadership Conference April 3 through April 6, in Lake Buena Vista.
Schooled on Jazz
Students at Haile Middle School kept the audience’s toes tapping April 8, during the school’s Night of Jazz event.