APRIL FOOLS' DAY — Officials from Sanborn Studios are calling it a win-win scenario.
The Lakewood Ranch-based movie and television studio reported last week it is finalizing negotiations with former ‘Two and a Half Men’ star Charlie Sheen for its latest series.
Sheen, who in early March was fired by Warner Bros. Television, is the frontrunner to star in Sanborn’s newest project, “Myakka City 24/365.”
Sanborn executives said they were impressed with Sheen’s ability to stay relevant despite losing his No. 1 show. Furthermore, after watching Sheen’s recent YouTube productions, they expect also to employ his directing talent in the new show.
In his latest video, Sheen appeared committed to the project. (Scroll down for video)
“I gave you my word: This warlock bats 1,000%,” he said.
“Myakka City 24/365” follows the trials of a drug enforcement agent (Sheen) as he scours the area for meth labs and marijuana grow operations. Despite its name, most of the show will be filmed in Miami. Scripts for the first four episodes are already written, officials said.
“Myakka City 24/365” is just the latest in a string of twists in Sheen’s career. Following his now infamous interview with ABC News’ Andrea Canning for “20/20,” Sheen set the Guinness World Record for Twitter as the “Fastest Time to Reach 1 Million Followers.” Earlier this month, he also launched a nationwide tour called “My Violent Torpedo of Truth/Defeat is Not An Option.” The tour broke Ticketmaster records and sold out in 18 minutes.
Sheen said he can’t wait to finalize the contracts and begin work in the East County following the tour.
“If you’re winning, I will see you there,” he said.
Sanborn officials say the new series will generate “millions” in revenues for Manatee and Sarasota while also creating “thousands” of new jobs. The studio is planning to petition for $800,000 in grant money from Manatee County.
Several East County residents have reported Sheen sightings in the past two weeks.
• March 23: Little Bookworms co-owner Heidi Allwood said Sheen came into her Lakewood Ranch Main Street shop to purchase a copy of the new “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” title.
• March 25: Diners at Linger Lodge reported Sheen enjoyed some fresh alligator bites.
• March 27: Sheen attended the late services at Woodland — The Community Church.
• March 27: Several attendees of the Ponies for Pups fundraiser at Sarasota Polo Club saw Sheen tailgating before the polo match.
• March 28: A representative for Neal Communities showed Sheen several models in the Brickell Park community in Central Park in Lakewood Ranch. He said he’s interested but wanted to look into short sales as well.
Currently 1 Response
- What a hoot!
28 The Jazz Club of Sarasota Presents "Jazz at Two" with Alex and Judi Glover
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
29 Dickey Betts & Great Southern Charity Concert
30 St. Andrews Day Celebration
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
2 Perlman Music Program/Suncoast Free Ticket Distribution at USFSM Rotunda for Winter Residency Musical Events
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Com has found a home!
Lakewood Ranch Town Hall’s Finance Director Steve Zielinski is the community’s money man, and he’s got the cufflinks to prove it.
Observer on the hunt for displays
We’re making our list of the best holiday lights displays in East County and checking it twice.