Layla Copeland juggles two careers: co-owner of Serving Spoon and a designer of handmade handbags and clothes. Learn more about her in our candid Q&A.
1. COMFY COZY: The first thing Layla Copeland ever sewed was a pillow. “A gigantic tropical pillow,” Copeland says, chuckling. “My mom was kind enough to put the hideous thing on the couch for years.”
2. CANINE COMPANION: Copeland adores her dog, Coconut. “I have a fantastic dog,” she says of the old white Siberian Husky.
3. PLAYING WITH DOLLS: Copeland began making dolls after her best friend had a baby. The child enjoyed the fabrics, colors and textures, inspiring Copeland to make more.
4. CUSTOMER SERVICE: Copeland said her favorite part of owning a restaurant is talking with customers. “I’ve made good friends from people coming in over the years,” she said.
5. SEAMSTRESS: Besides making purses, Copeland also enjoys designing her own clothes. “I make dresses for myself,” Copeland said. “I do sell them, but I only make certain sizes — essentially my size.”
Currently 0 Responses
31 "Jazz at Two:" Halloween Jazz Jam with the Jerry Eckert Trio
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
31 Halloween Spooktacular
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
1 Dickey Betts & Great Southern Charity Concert
1 Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents the Morgenstern Trio
As ladies in the Lakewood Ranch Women’s Club walked into a Monte Carlo-themed Casino Night Oct. 23, at the Polo Grill and Bar, a Sean Connery-version of James Bond, dressed in a white tuxedo, took them by the arms, and posed for a picture.
Give, get a treat
Residents of Summerfield Glades have made it a Halloween tradition to gather at the driveway of Maggie White and pass out candy.
Fall back an hour
Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 a.m. Nov. 2, so turn back those clocks before bedtime Saturday night.